GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Knocking in steering wheel when turning

I have a 2005 silverado Z71, about 77K, 3-in body lift, 315/70 R17 tires on it.

The problem i have is that i feel a weird knocking on the steering wheel when turning or going around a curve. It feels like something inside, dont know if its the shaft or what, moves up and down and knocks and i can feel it on the steering wheel I can also hear it slightly.

I have been trying to research this but have not really found an answer. Ive read some stuff about greasing the "intermediate" shaft and others replacing it completely.

I dont know if this is a common problem, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had an 05 Tahoe that had the same problem. I had to replace the steering box that the shaft goes into. It cost me about $200 and a little time. The problem I had that once replaced the steering seemed to be totally different and felt twitchy. I guess I got a box with the wrong gears or something. But it did fix the knock that I felt in the steering wheel. Get under your truck and grab hold of the steering shaft close to the steering box and see if there is wiggle room. On mine I lifted the front end and was able to move the wheels without the steering wheel moving showing how much slop there was in the box.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks ima have to try that.

Just thought I'd share this, I recently had clunkinig noises coming from my steering, which occurred after some collision damage on my 96 K1500 Z71 was repaired. The problem was, when the front end was aligned, the control arm nuts needed to be loosened, and they forgot to tighten them when done with the alignment!
    Last edited by TWODFlyer; 06-21-2010 at 10:20 PM.

I had a similar problem with my 03 Yukon. It was the intermediate shaft. I had mine "fixed" before the kit came out that replaces it. THey packed mine with bearing grease. That was 50,000 miles ago and the noise hasn't come back yet. The official fix is to replace the intermediate shaft with a new part that doesn't rattle. As I understand it, it is in a sleeve like thing and that is the noise/rattle you feel and hear.

FWIW:

There is a GM TSB (superseded several times) which addresses this issue. I have access to the latest TSBs (which apply to my '04 Silverado) via my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription, but I hesitate to post the entire thing here. At any rate, here's how it begins:

Steering - Underhood Clunk Heard/Felt in Steering Wheel

TECHNICAL
    Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003N
    Date: March 26 2008

Subject:
    Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
    1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
    2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
    2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention:
    This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add diagnostic information (refer to Diagnostic Tips) to check the lower steering column bearing as a potential source of the noise. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003M (Section 02-Steering).
    The entire TSB, including a step-by-step procedure, requisite precautions and tools, and detailed images, is posted (by a FORMER GM Parts and Service Mngr, named Mike) at the following link... I suggest a SAVE TO DISK complete with ALL IMAGES, once this page loads:
    Last edited by 04-silverado; 06-22-2010 at 11:08 AM.

I sure hope this issue has been fixed on newer models ?????

I sure hope this issue has been fixed on newer models ?????
    I would think so (seeing that the last revised TSB is dated March 2008)... at least one can always hope, eh?

BTW: my '04 has this issue. At first it was a bit disconcerting, but I might wait a while before obtaining the replacement GM part (and nearly $20 special tool?) needed to complete the repair. It's not a safety issue, as far as I know... just a nuisance.
    Last edited by 04-silverado; 06-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.

I had a 04 2500HD and i had this problem and i went to a buddy that works on cars and all he had to do is repack the rod in it and it work great for years it only cost me 50 bucks. He also told me if u wait for a long time then you will have to replace the rod. Good Luck

Jr. Mechanic

It has been said before but, the problem could be your intermediate steering shaft. That was what mine was. It's a relatively simple install. There are many aftermarket shafts that are beefier than the GM ones. I think NAPA has them for cheap too.

This could be your issue. I hope that this helped some.

Good Luck!!
    /***********************************
    2006 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    Additions:
    Viper Auto Start / Security System
    PIAA 520ions ( Mounted in grill now )
    Magnaflow Cat-Back
    6000K HID Low Beams
    Homemade Projectors
    Definitely more to come
    ***********************************/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by