GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default 95 suburban transmission in a 98 blazer

    Hey Guys,

    Since the Road Warrior Burb has lost its AC, I've found a cheap 98 Blazer 4x4, that has a dead tranny.

    Would the one from my 95 1500 4x4 burb work? How much if any modification would be needed?
    burbn' in NC

  2. #2

    Default

    u need to check if the chevy bolt pattern on the block is the same then on the vortec block, if so ..it should fit no problem !!!

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  3. #3

    Default

    It seems that, in perusing sites talking about transmission swaps like that, that they always say that the '95 4L60E is kind of its own animal -- it isn't "plug and play" swappable with other year 4L60E's. I don't remember the specifics, but '95 seems to be a transition year as they started using more pulse width modulation in the electronic controls to the transmission. How much of it is in the PCM and how much is in the transmission, I don't know. It would be worth further research before you get committed to the project.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    It seems that, in perusing sites talking about transmission swaps like that, that they always say that the '95 4L60E is kind of its own animal -- it isn't "plug and play" swappable with other year 4L60E's. I don't remember the specifics, but '95 seems to be a transition year as they started using more pulse width modulation in the electronic controls to the transmission. How much of it is in the PCM and how much is in the transmission, I don't know. It would be worth further research before you get committed to the project.
    I talked to a friend of mine ( tranny shop ) he said the 95 is the last year for the chevy 350 and the first for the 4L60E....they changed something on it after 95 so it will fit the Vortecs which came out in 96 !!!!! So my guess is thats why it is its own animal in 95 ?!

    but a rebuild for that tranny is not that much, he said...he actually said he rather rebuild the tranny in the new one then swap it against the old one !!!

    Hope this helps !

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  5. #5

    Default

    Might be cheaperand easier to fix the A/C in the Suburban.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Might be cheaperand easier to fix the A/C in the Suburban.
    Yeah I'm leaning towards that, (as I found the same info that the 95 was a one year wonder) but to be honest I was hoping to pick up a little MPG's as the 13MPG on the burb is starting to hurt...

    Thanks Guys!!!
    burbn' in NC

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jtwh20 View Post
    Yeah I'm leaning towards that, (as I found the same info that the 95 was a one year wonder) but to be honest I was hoping to pick up a little MPG's as the 13MPG on the burb is starting to hurt...

    Thanks Guys!!!
    I would change the vortec and the tranny into the burb,,i am geting about 15 MPH and mine is a 2500 with 3500 rear dually and a 4X4 !!!!

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Similar Threads

  1. 93 suburban transmission removal
    By vintage_car in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
  2. Do I need a new transmission on my 90 Suburban?
    By gfam in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 11:50 PM
  3. 04 Suburban - Transmission Overheating???
    By TurkeyHunter in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
  4. what transmission in a 98 suburban k1500 4x
    By EdPDX in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
  5. 99 Suburban transmission leak?
    By technojunkie in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •