GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: sub help

Default sub help

ok so i need some help... my subs arent sounding right this week and ive been around a lot louder speakers in my time than the 2 12" kicker cvt's that i currently have and their not really satisfying me... my dj set up is 2 18's 4 15's and 2 horns on 5000w... im looking at buying probably either 1 memphis mojo 12" or 1 kicker l7 12".... ive heard 2 mojo 12's that slam... never heard one alone though.. and its been a while since ive heard an l7.. which would be my best bang for my buck and does anyone have any advice for another sub that would sound as good? the problem with the mojo is the price and the airspace it requires... i currently have a 1200w max amp that will only drop to 2ohm..
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

Is the 1200watts peak or rms? I've read mixed reviews on the L7. I know the L7 is for SPL. Never heard a Memphis mojo. My new personal favorite Sub brand is RE Audio. They sound really good. Audioque makes some good subs. What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    Is the 1200watts peak or rms? I've read mixed reviews on the L7. I know the L7 is for SPL. Never heard a Memphis mojo. My new personal favorite Sub brand is RE Audio. They sound really good. Audioque makes some good subs. What's your budget?

its 1200w max.. what do u mean by SPL?? im not strict on a budget but id like to keep it down... i can get an l7 for about $200 and a mojo runs $450... what do audioque and RE audio run?
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn

I'm not really sure how to explain the SPL topic. Google difference between SPL and SQ. Maybe enkeiavalanche(I think thats how you spell his name) can explain it better. Kicker L7's require a lot of space to sound good.

Audioque 600 watt rms sub - sdc2.5 is $139.00 on audioque.com
    RE Audio 600 Watt rms sub - RE Audio SEX 12 is $170.00 on ebay.com
    Check out FI Audio's SSD12. I think its only $180.00

Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok Ok I'm here... Sorry long night... What Amp are you useing? Brand.. The bad news is that there are a few like Sony,Kenwood (Lower end) and Pioneer that say 1200 Watts max but all they are giving you at 13 volts is about 350 watts at best..Good rule of thumb $1.00 per watt You want a true 1000 watt amp your going to pay between $800.00+ If it sells for $179.99 It ant no 1200 watt amp.... Sorry.. The subs you have are a nice SQ sub from Kicker.. The L7's are for more of pounding and Rap/Hip hop type music.. If your into more of Rock Jazz and all types of music I would stay with what you have and get a better amp. You should be putting about 250-350 Watts to each RMS....One of the best 500 Watt amps out there is the JL 500/1v2 It will give you 500-600 Watts Clean all day long...At 11.5-14 volts 1.5-4 ohm.....

Let me know if I can be of anymore help......
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    I'm not really sure how to explain the SPL topic. Google difference between SPL and SQ. Maybe enkeiavalanche(I think thats how you spell his name) can explain it better. Kicker L7's require a lot of space to sound good.

Audioque 600 watt rms sub - sdc2.5 is $139.00 on audioque.com
    RE Audio 600 Watt rms sub - RE Audio SEX 12 is $170.00 on ebay.com
    Check out FI Audio's SSD12. I think its only $180.00

ya im looking at either giving up my fold up seat in the rear or my drivers side rear seat and the floor space to make a box big enough... i am thinking about an L shaped box that would go in the rear drivers side feet but someone could still put their feet on either side an it would extend under the seat.. i could get 2.09 cubic feet out of it...
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    6000K HID's
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn

Blog Entries

Go big or go home...a single Digital Designs 15" for the win.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787