GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default power steering pump problem

HEy guys,

one of the two lines on my power steering pump is leaking everytime I turn the wheel at all.

I am pretty sure its the return line as it only seems to leak when I turn the wheel.

any suggestions for rigging this so I can still drive until I get the part on mon/tues/wed? or do I have to keep filling up the damn thing till its fixed?

btw, it is the steel line, not the rubber braided one.

its also a 93, 350, 4x4

thanks

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Legend

Since this is a low pressure line you can wrap the line in either electrical tape, or duct tape. Spiral wrap the hose about three inches in either direction of the leak, and make sure you overlap each revolution. It may still leak a little, but it will be like an ooze, and probably hardly noticeable. This should get you through just fine until you can get the part.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Sounds more like the supply line which is pressurized when the engine is running, and especially when your turning the steering wheel. There is no good temp fix for a blown/leaking pressure line other than sealing off the system and using armstrong steering. The best choice is to park the truck until you can get it repaired. If your convinced you have to drive be very careful, keeping the system filled all the time is the least of your worries (although the results are the same with a broken hose or no fluid), I'd be more worried about loosing power steering at a critical moment.

Jr. Engineer

I was thinking about getting a shorter belt to bypass the power steering until I could get it fixed early in the week... what do you think? now I guess the next big question would be what size belt would I need? ROFL

im such an idiot lol

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

If you need the belt size use a piece of string to measure the new belt routing and take the string to the auto parts store for the closest one (dental floss will work if you dont have string).

I would say Park it until repairs can be done. Not Gerry rigging. Complete failure of power steer is near impossible to steer. It doesn't feel like standard steering, you'll barely be able to move wheel...especially at low speed.
    Park it!

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E