GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Expect another how-to from me...

Well, more trouble with the sub... I was up at the boy scout camp, and I had just made a turn on some uneven ground, and I blew the upper balljoint on the passenger side of the truck. So, I had to scrounge tools up from friends, drive 30 mins into town with a leader to get parts and such, then work in the rain to get the balljoint fixed. Needless to say, I'm wore out from this one, working on the truck, and also fufilling my Quartermaster duties for the camping trip I was on, but I got it done. The upper half of the upper balljoin, the shroud area that holds the lower half with the ball in, shattered, causing the truck to fall to the ground. Luckily, I was only doing like 3 mph when this happened, so no damage was caused that I know of, except for the ball join itself. Since that one failed, and it was the origrinal factory ball joint, I will be replacing the other 3 in the next couple weeks. I didn't get any pics of the work, as usual (and I had my cameraphone on me too...someone remind me LOL), however, I'll get some when I replace the other 3 balljoints.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Well, more trouble with the sub... I was up at the boy scout camp, and I had just made a turn on some uneven ground, and I blew the upper balljoint on the passenger side of the truck. So, I had to scrounge tools up from friends, drive 30 mins into town with a leader to get parts and such, then work in the rain to get the balljoint fixed. Needless to say, I'm wore out from this one, working on the truck, and also fufilling my Quartermaster duties for the camping trip I was on, but I got it done. The upper half of the upper balljoin, the shroud area that holds the lower half with the ball in, shattered, causing the truck to fall to the ground. Luckily, I was only doing like 3 mph when this happened, so no damage was caused that I know of, except for the ball join itself. Since that one failed, and it was the origrinal factory ball joint, I will be replacing the other 3 in the next couple weeks. I didn't get any pics of the work, as usual (and I had my cameraphone on me too...someone remind me LOL), however, I'll get some when I replace the other 3 balljoints.
    Wow, no kidding it's a good thing you weren't going fast. Sorry about your luck with the rain too, that's got to be unplesant, especially when on a trip like that.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.