GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 350 Rebuild Question(I'm doing my first engine rebuild!!)...

Hey guys, I'm looking into rebuilding my first 350 for my 82 K10 4x4! I'm really excited to try it. I've been doing a ton of research and I really think I could do this! But the thing thats really been confusing me is the cam. From what I understand cam replacement is pretty routine with an engine rebuild... I'm not really looking to build this thing for a whole a lot of performance. I'm not looking to impress anybody, I just want a nice stock(or close to it) engine that will run well for many years and keep my old dinosaur on the road. The big headache I'm running into is figuring out which cam to buy when the time comes? I don't know which one would be the best fit for my truck. There are so many different sizes to choose from with the lift and duration. Anybody have any advice? I don't know where to begin in purchasing one because I'm not even sure what size the stock cam is. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your input!
    Last edited by ahobson1; 06-23-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: *typo!
    -1982 K10 Pickup AKA "Big Red" -

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Just look around at camshaft manufacturers and get a "mild" performance cam. It will give a little more punch than the stocker without making your truck unreliable or get bad fuel milage.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Legend
    Blog Entries

Alright you will want to call up comp cams, and order an RV towing cam, they will be able to make sure you get the right one when you order by year, model, and gears, tranny type (auto, manual)
    With an RV towing cam you are getting a bit more torque, and at a lower RPM range.. This will help to keep your truck moving for a long time to come..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

100% agreement with Murdog94....
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Almost every cam manufacturer website has a contact # or email, call or send them the specs on your truck and what your expecting to do with it and they can give you some good advice on what cam would be best.
    The RV cam is probably the most popular one sold for mild performance without all the nasty side affects and that'll probably be their recomendation but it cost's you nothing to pick their brains for advice, these companies sell thousands of cams a year and their techs know there stuff.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Almost every cam manufacturer website has a contact # or email, call or send them the specs on your truck and what your expecting to do with it and they can give you some good advice on what cam would be best.
    The RV cam is probably the most popular one sold for mild performance without all the nasty side affects and that'll probably be their recomendation but it cost's you nothing to pick their brains for advice, these companies sell thousands of cams a year and their techs know there stuff.
    I agree.. I wasnt just plugging comp cams.. That is one of the better known cam makers, and I have ordered from them and they were really good. But as TBplus says there are a lot of other companies.. Good luck with your engine build.. And keep us posted...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"