GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Jr. Mechanic ibmoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "Sweet Home Alabama"
    Posts
    147

    Default How To Run Cables/Wires For A Powered Subwoofer?

    I plan on installing a small powered subwoofer in my 03 Silverado Extended Cab. I guess I will install it under the rear seat on the drivers side.

    Do you guys know of a write up or have any tips or recommendations on how to route/place the wires/cables?

    For instance do I have to take the seat out and how do I get the rocker panel cover off?
    Or
    Can I somehow "fish" the wires under the carpet?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bert
    "Race Car Spelled Backwards is Racecar"

    03 Silverado 2WD extended cab 5.3 with towing package white/silver
    70GS455

  2. #2
    Jr. Mechanic ibmoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "Sweet Home Alabama"
    Posts
    147

    Default

    I have looked around and still found no good info on the routing of the wires...

    Bert

  3. #3
    Master Mechanic HawaiiKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    537
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    The way I ran my wires was from the engine bay under the drivers side floor pan, up through a hole there (cut a extra hole in the rubber grommet) and over to the door sill plate. then from there straight back to the rear seat...pretty simple set up, haven't had a issue at all with it.

    2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiKid View Post
    The way I ran my wires was from the engine bay under the drivers side floor pan, up through a hole there (cut a extra hole in the rubber grommet) and over to the door sill plate. then from there straight back to the rear seat...pretty simple set up, haven't had a issue at all with it.
    I'm having a hard time envisioning that. Under the drivers side floor pan ... meaning the wires are exposed to the underside of the truck?

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  5. #5
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chandler, az
    Posts
    10

    Default

    you need to take off the plastic molding that hold the carpet down next tothe seats, take the kick panel off, and run the wires from the battery through the fire wall under the carpet to the back seat. do not use a crappy plastic cased fuse because when they get hot they melt and can cause a fire, use a circuit breaker instead, well worth the money ($50) you will also want to run your RCA and remote wire on the opposite side of your truck, you may get feedback through your system if you don't. at least run your power wire next to the door and your RCA next to the tranny tunnel. also please use heavy duty wire not that crap you get at best buy. you'll get more power out of your amp and it will sound better. any other question feel free to ask, i've done a lot of systems. good luck
    Matt

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatmatt View Post
    you need to take off the plastic molding that hold the carpet down next tothe seats, take the kick panel off, and run the wires from the battery through the fire wall under the carpet to the back seat. do not use a crappy plastic cased fuse because when they get hot they melt and can cause a fire, use a circuit breaker instead, well worth the money ($50) you will also want to run your RCA and remote wire on the opposite side of your truck, you may get feedback through your system if you don't. at least run your power wire next to the door and your RCA next to the tranny tunnel. also please use heavy duty wire not that crap you get at best buy. you'll get more power out of your amp and it will sound better. any other question feel free to ask, i've done a lot of systems. good luck
    Matt
    Rock on Matt, you know I've gotten feedback before on systems installed, maybe it was the wires being too close together.

  7. #7
    Master Mechanic HawaiiKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    537
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm having a hard time envisioning that. Under the drivers side floor pan ... meaning the wires are exposed to the underside of the truck?
    Yeah, technically...I wrapped my power wire in a plastic wrap though, and electrical taped it from the battery all the way to where it enters the cab.

  8. #8
    Jr. Mechanic ibmoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "Sweet Home Alabama"
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Thanks for the input guys!
    Its the small powered subwoofer made by Sound Ordnance.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...PT.html?tp=114

    The kit from Crutchfield comes with the wiring and connectors and a fuse block. I hope its good enough stuff, I am sure it does not have a circuit breaker though...Hopefully the cables will be big enough for this little unit.

    I will go try and figure out how to remove the kick panels and the door sill molding.

    Sorry about all the pesky questions:

    Whereabouts should I connect the positive cable under the hood ?

    Thanks again.

    Bert
    Last edited by ibmoses; 06-29-2010 at 08:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    call me, i can fill you in in about 10 minutes on EVERYTHING....267-240-0346 (Drew)

    ---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

    Matt, you have some good advice, the only downfall to running your RCA close to the tranny tunnel is gear noise due to the size of the trans and engine torque that the larger engines produce. I would rather suggest running your power and remote down the same side as the battery to prevent creating a ground loop(which produces an engine wine noise) and running the RCA down the opposite side door sill double coating in electrical tape if not the full length atleast the length of the door sill to prevent any interference from the wires already running down the door sill. Also the ground using is able to be attached to a seat mounting bolt with the appropriate connector ATLEAST 12" from the amplifier. Very good advice, i can see your experienced, i have also browsed some of your posts and you are very accurate in alot of things.

  10. #10
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chandler, az
    Posts
    10

    Default

    thanks, we're all just trying to help eachother out here. good luck with the install

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. speed sensor cables
    By XS ive in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last: 06-24-2010, 05:46 PM
  2. Tailgate cables
    By Mako in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last: 02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
  3. RCA cables to speaker wires?
    By trenchwarfare in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last: 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
  4. ANOTHER RECALL ON SILVERADO TAILGATE CABLES
    By terry16120 in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last: 04-21-2006, 07:54 AM
  5. Aftermarket Sparkplugs wires vs Chevy Sparkplug wires
    By chevy00 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 3
    Last: 10-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •