GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Want more power, lots of questions

Basically, heres the deal: I am going to be starting a legitimate job in a few months here that is going to be providing me with some disposable income, and I want to do 2 things with it-make my Silverado really pretty, pretty fast. Now a new paintjob might be in the works, but I want to get some power into her first, so here is the big question: how do I do that? First off, the engine has 135k on it, and I'm going to put on about 6 thousand more before it gets any work done to it (I'm cross countrying her from NY to CA, then shipping it to Hawaii) so I know its going to need some work done to it to make it able to handle a lot of power.

So, question 1-Do I stick with this motor, or drop it and go with a crate motor? And if I stick with it, should I just get it stroked out to like a 383 and leave it NA and get some power out of it that way? Or do it just get it cleaned up and running like new again, then drop a small (6-10 pounds of boost) turbo on it? The big thing is I'd like to keep it somewhat "ok" on gas, and I'd like to keep the cost down of the entire build.

I'm realistic and know it aint gonna be cheap, but I'd like it to cost as little as possible, and with that in mind it seems like the smartest route would be to get the engine stroked out, right? What would that cost me anyways?

As you can tell, I have a lot of questions, and am wide open to any sort of input you might have. Also, if there is another option out there that I haven't touched on (other than gettin a new truck haha), lemme know!

Thanks,
    Billy
    Last edited by HawaiiKid; 06-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Blog Entries

Bump...could really use some input from people that have done stuff to their own rides to make em faster.

As I say to most looking for more power: What exactly do you want to do with it? Is it going all off road? Still daily driver? Racing? Give us an idea of what your goals are with it and we can help you with suggestions.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

What all do you have done so far, everything in your signature? That would help with choosing your path.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    As I say to most looking for more power: What exactly do you want to do with it? Is it going all off road? Still daily driver? Racing? Give us an idea of what your goals are with it and we can help you with suggestions.
    It's going to be a daily driver, just want some more power for no real reason other than fun. It will probably stay on road for most of its life, I like her to stay clean.

And power wise, I am looking for something like 350-450 hp, just depending on how much it costs to get there and what route I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    What all do you have done so far, everything in your signature? That would help with choosing your path.
    Yeah, only performance mods so far are the K&N filter, side exhaust and the DiabloSport Predator tune.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Well since you already have intake, exhaust, and a custom tune, then id get a cam and high-flow heads. Then if you want more power after that, id bore and stroke your motor as well as get bigger injectors. Then the next step is a turbo or supercharger. And with all this power, you had better build up your tranny and differentials to handle the power. So I say go as far as your wallet will let you.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    Well since you already have intake, exhaust, and a custom tune, then id get a cam and high-flow heads. Then if you want more power after that, id bore and stroke your motor as well as get bigger injectors. Then the next step is a turbo or supercharger. And with all this power, you had better build up your tranny and differentials to handle the power. So I say go as far as your wallet will let you.
    Well, what does a performance cam and a good set of heads run, and what kind of performance gains could I expect from that? What about boring and stroking, cost and performace gains?
    Last edited by HawaiiKid; 06-30-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

A cam is around 200 and a great set of high-flow heads is 600 to 1000 for a set of new aftermarket heads. I dont know what the cost of boring and stroking your motor would be. But any of these mods would really add the power to your motor and are necissary mods to make a motor hit up to 450 hp like you stated earlier you would like to get.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Sr. Engineer

What I recommend to folks:

Stage 1- intake, exhaust, tune
    Stage 2- cam, headers, F/I
    Stage 3- gears, transmission, spray
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JennaBear View Post
    What I recommend to folks:

Stage 1- intake, exhaust, tune
    Stage 2- cam, headers, F/I
    Stage 3- gears, transmission, spray
    Jenna, do you not think that cylinder heads are worth the cash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast