GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Default Changing transfer case fluid

Im gona be changing my transfer case fluid and was wondering how much fluid it holds? Surely it cant hold over 2 quarts. And I was also wondering the best fluid to put in it? Dexron III ATF? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

You'd be suprised how much a transfer case can hold. The transfer case on my Bronco held 3-4 quarts, I don't remember exactly.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Ok thanks man. I guess I'll just buy 4 quarts and take back whatever I didnt use. And whats the best fluid to use in my transfer case? Because Ive heard to use Dexron III tranny fluid and ive also heard to use Auto Trak II fluid.
    Last edited by Silverado Junkie; 07-02-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

In your year truck you use a automatic transmission fluid. I use Mobil1 synthetic transmission fluid in my 1996 Suburbans t/case. I get at AutoZone.

Sounds good, thanks for the help man.

Fill it up until it starts to come out the bottom of the fill plug hole. That's an easy way to tell, i would play it safe and buy 5 quarts of fluid, and then return if you didn't use any, or you can keep it for extra.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Fill it up until it starts to come out the bottom of the fill plug hole. That's an easy way to tell, i would play it safe and buy 5 quarts of fluid, and then return if you didn't use any, or you can keep it for extra.

Ya man, better safe than sorry. Thanks.

1996 tc 231 - 233 uses 1.18 liters or 1.25 qts according to gm book

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

dexron lll that is

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

okay hooked up to 4.3 vortec

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Fill it up until it starts to come out the bottom of the fill plug hole. That's an easy way to tell, i would play it safe and buy 5 quarts of fluid transfer cases, and then return if you didn't use any, or you can keep it for extra.
    I was thinking of buying 4 quarts but realized your tip is more logical I'm getting 5 quarts.
    Last edited by onseytote; 09-24-2010 at 03:11 PM.