GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Cross Country prep

So I'm planning on going from Syracuse, NY to Boston, NYC, then back to Syracuse and from here out to Los Angeles, CA...my question is, how should I prep my truck? I am taking my 20 inch chrome Rockstars off (better milage hopefully and dont have to freak out about them getting all scratched up) and putting my stock rims and tires back on, and am taking it into a local shop and having them do a few things. So far I am planning on them flushing the radiator, changing the plugs, checking the transmission and rear end fluids, putting a new serpentine belt on and changing the fuel filter. Anything else you think I should have them do? I changed the oil to synthetic 2000 miles ago, and I'll do another oil change before I head out but that's not actually happening until the 15th of August. Oh, and the trucks got 135K on the clock now and runs great!

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Wow sounds like a great trip.. One of the Avalanche Guys from Canada will be in the NYC area Aug 20-27th and we are planing a nice GTG for him and his family. And a Tour of NYC. Please let me know when you will be out here and maybe we can plan something even bigger if you have the time...

As for Preping your truck....You seem to be on the right track..I would check to see what states have the best Gas price's. Like I live in NY but NJ is only 1 mile away and the price Per Gal is .30-.50 Cheaper in NJ. So it adds up fast..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Blog Entries

Thanks for the offer Enkei but I'm actually gonna be there the 18th, 19th, and then leavin the 20th I think...or leavin the 21st, but I will be spendin the 20th drinking some tasty beverages somewhere in NYC with a bunch of my friends hahaha.

I am def planning on filling up in states with lower prices, and I also plan on using Sams Club a lot along the way. Anyone else have some input on how I should prep her?

How about the radiator and heater hoses, how old are they and how do they look? I would also have the front end greased.

Be prepared to change a tire.
    Make sure your spare is aired up and you can jack your truck up and remove/replace the wheel. In the dark. while it's raining.

Properly inflate your tires.
    I'd leave the oil change until you get back. You run synthetic, so you're good for 5000 - 7500 miles. Don't waste what you got - but bring a quart "just in case".

I ASSUME all the other maintenance stuff is up to snuff, regardless of if you're going across country or not... belts & hoses OK, fluids, grease, etc... ok. If these are OK, you can go anywhere anytime without having to worry about it.

I think of all the possible failures I could have when far from home, and how I'd deal with them. I have a "magic toolbox" - real tight and compact, but it effectively has about 40 screwbits in it and a full ratchet set, etc.... I bring that to service a car, but if I felt I needed to have it on hand to repair my truck, I'd take it. It came in handy recently when I had to repair a faulty plug wire in SC on my way up to PA. If I didn't half-azz things - I'da had replaced my wires (or the one I knew to be questionable) BEFORE I left, but....

I tow a lot, so it's possible to have electrical problems - so my magic toolbox has wire cutters/strippers, spare fuses, electrical tape, etc... if your truck is not screwed up electrically, and it shouldn't be - you wouldn't need to pack a lot of spare parts.

Reiterating my above - bring a flash light (that works). Make sure your jack assembly is present, functional and you know how to use it. I say this because if you have 33" muddies, or in my case - 30" tires... my stock jack won't get my truck up off the ground. Fortunantly in my case, for some reason I had brought a 3-ton floor jack with me, and I was lucky to be able to limp right into a deserted truck stop at 1:30AM... so I could air up my flat spare tire. I had a tire failure 9/10ths of the way through a 1000 mile trip, while towing a car. I was very lucky in this situation... I had a blowout at 70MPH and nearly dumped everything.... I couldn't make the exit I was coming up upon, but saw a sign for the next exit - 1 mile up... I rolled down the ramp and into the truckstop. How's that for luck. Had I had this blowout in <nowhere> PA or VA or.... where you got 30 miles between exits....

Which brings up another strategy... keep your truck 1/2 full of gas, at least. Especially after 10PM, especially when your out in the middle of nowhere. Having 1/8 tank of gas at 2AM in the middle of nowhere is dicey. I don't recommend taking a gas can because: #1: you're probably not the type to run out of gas and #2: if you do run out of gas, you probably won't have a spare fuel pump, nor the tools to repair that. So don't put yourself in a position where you could run out of gas.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Sounds like you have it covered.
    We drive from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ(3000 miles roundtrip) every year or so in the Suburban(1998 214,000 miles).
    I usually pump my tires up to close to the sidewall max pressure since it is mostly smooth interstate-improved mpg slightly.
    I carry some tools(wrenches,pliers,screwdrivers, knife, flashlights, duct tape, electrical tape, some wire, connectors, quart of oil, some trans fluid, water or coolant, pistol etc)
    Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA