GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A/C not working, sent to shop, said it was 1lb low on refrigerant. Still not working.

Hi All,

About a week ago our A/C started working/not working intermittently. Generally speaking it would work for a little while, then stop. The fan was still blowing but the air coming out the vents was not cool.

I took it to the dealership where we got it, and they looked it over and said that the refrigerant was 1 pound low (was 2 pounds, should be 3 pounds). They added 1 pound of refrigerant, and said it was working for them after that.

Well, I picked it up at the end of the day and on the drive home, it never got cool. It's definitely still not working for me.

I've called them and am going to have to bring it back in to them... but thought I'd also check here for feedback on what could be going on here. I paid $61 in parts, labor, and taxes for them to put a pound of refrigerant in and it seemed to do nothing, so I'm a little annoyed... but I guess you can't win 'em all. Overall I've been happy with this dealership, they've done most of the service work on my vehicles and I've been happy at other times. :-/

It could have been a pound low if the system has a leak. Tell them to put dye in the system to try to find any leaks.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    It could have been a pound low if the system has a leak. Tell them to put dye in the system to try to find any leaks.
    X2, also what year make model?? But they definately need to do something about it.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sorry, I didn't say. 2003 Yukon XL SLT. It's got rear air.

at that rate of leakage don't waste your money with dye,(they will charge you).a qualified tech should be able to see the point of leakage. they should have found the leak prior to charging you for freon that released into the atmosphere.

Legend

they should have detected the leak when putting the freon in, they just dont put a can on it like you would by from home, they use a machine to adjust it to get it to its optimum level, any over pressure can destroy an A/C system. I wouldnt be paying the 61 bucks they charged you. I would bet the compressor is shot.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sorry I never followed up on this. I took it back and they looked it over again--it turns out that a pressure switch on the compressor was bad. So, the compressor itself was working, but there was a pressure switch that was malfunctioning and shutting the compressor off.

They charged me for the replacement pressure switch ($36.73), but no labor.

That's good. I'd have been super mad if they wanted to charge me for labor on something they missed.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors