GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Smile 82 K10 - 350 5.7L - Timing Question

I have an 82 Chevy K10 Pickup. It has an Edelbrock carb and intake and an HEI distributor. The timing on it is slightly off due to the distributor's mounting bolt coming loose allowing my distributor to turn a little with every harsh bump i would hit. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to set the timing back to. Ive searched through the Haynes manual and it just keeps telling me to refer to my VECI label under my hood. This thing is an 82. That was probably worn down and ripped off a decade ago and those would be the specs for the stock engine anyway. This will be my first time dealing with a timing issue so any information would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for reading!
    -1982 K10 Pickup AKA "Big Red" -

As long as you have stock valve train and pistons, your timing should be stock position which is 8 degrees BTDC. Using a Haynes manual, you don't refer to timing in the index. Look under "engine electrical". Haynes manuals are extremely helpful, but info isn't always where you'd expect it.

Thanks for the info! I would have never thought to look in the section listing the spark plug gaps, but I guess thats not really too odd of a place to put it. I went out to look at it today and found some bad news. I have no timing marks anywhere. The small piece of metal mounted on the timing cover that usually lists the degrees is gone. Any suggestions? I'm kind of starting to get the feeling it might be time for me to swallow my pride, put down the tools, and take this to a professional. I'd really hate to do that though because what would I learn from that? This truck is sort of my rolling automotive school haha.

This truck is an excellent rolling shop class. The original timing tab was spot welded to the timing cover. If you take this to a shop they'll give you a price for replacing the timing cover. Very expensive. Many years ago I would get bolt on tabs from the local speed shop. If these are still available you'll find them at "Jegs" or "Summit".
    You have a good, detailed repair manual and the ability, so if you have to replace the cover, you might want to add a double roller timing set while everything's apart. You will need a harmonic balancer puller and puller for the crank gear (if your changing it). A good source for these is e-bay.
    P.S. If you still talk with the guy that built this motor, I'd like to know if how he set the timing. If he's one of these guys that thinks his experience makes him good enough to set it by ear, I'd be very concerned about internal parts (torque values, clearances, etc.).

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Update! Summit Racing has bolt on timing tabs. On the home page, to the left, click on "engines and components". Scroll down to "part type", click "show all", scroll down to timing pointers and click. Scroll down to the ninth item. Should be chrome chevy small block.