GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice

Default Ignition problem/Can't turn off truck with key!?

When I start my truck I can't turn it off with the key in the ignition. I can only shut it down by pulling the ignition/ecu fuse. I replaced the ignition switch with a new one and I am still having the same problem. I put the new switch in, adjusted it forward and backward to find the start and stop positions, but I can't find the stop position. So I took the switch off the column and with a screw driver I went through all the positions and I can make it start, but not stop.

What am I missing? Please help. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new ignition switch.jpg  

Jr. Apprentice

so I have FINALLY figured out my ignition problem. It all reverted back to a temporary brake fix that involved a jumper wire. In the brake switch, I had jumped the red and the orange wires by having my dad solder a jumper wire between the two so my brake lights would work (my brakes lights are a whole 'nother story lol) well, just so happened that the jumper wire was keeping a constant feed of power to my ignition, not allowing the engine to shut off with the key. I clipped the jumper wire in half and wah-la! problem solved. That allowed me to turn off the ignition switch with my key in the cylinder. So buying a new ignition switch was a waste of money because the old one turned out to be perfectly fine lol, just glad it was a $9 part. Now how to fix my brake lights....any ideas?

Thanks guys for all your answers and help!
    Brady James
    1989 GMC Sierra c2500

Replace the brake light switch.

Jr. Apprentice

brake light switch is brand new, replaced it about 3 weeks ago.
    Brady James
    1989 GMC Sierra c2500

Jr. Mechanic

Any more background on the brakelight problem?

Jr. Apprentice

I bought the truck from my neighbor who was the original owner. The first day I had it, I noticed that when I would park my truck my brake lights would stay on. So I ask John my neighbor, and he says its a sticky brake pedal and that he just normally turns it off by tapping his foot underneath the pedal and pulling on it. So I did this for a day or two and it worked...then I noticed I had no brake lights at all. So down to the store I went new bulbs and a new brake light switch. Installed those two and still no brake lights. So then I asked my girl frirends dad who is very mechanical, and he gives me a quick fix. he jumped the wire with a paper clip. this worked for about a day or two until the clip wiggled loose I suppose. So I get under the dash remove the paper clip and get a bigger wire that won't wiggle out....so what I do is I soldered the wire to the switch... yes the jumper was right at the switch. I literally soldered a wire between the red and the orange wires then plugged it back together. I will take a picture and post that shows what I did. brake light switch is getting power. I don't know if it is constant though. My hazard lights work and my blinkers work and I initially thought I had bad bulbs, but when I tested them they lit up.
    Brady James
    1989 GMC Sierra c2500