GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How'd you guys upgrade your Suburban?

So I've got my 1999 Suburban and want to start building it up and will hopefully get a 4 inch lift and new tires soon, but what has everybody here done to upgrade there's? I've also thought about fender flares, new wheels and stuff to improve performance. Open to any ideas or parts you've added to the exterior interior or anywhere else.

Thanks
    1999 Chevy Suburban 4x4
    Sumitomo All terrains

I dropped in a K&N filter. I want to do a full cold-air intake, programmer and a custom dual exhaust (can't find a bolt-on dual kit for my 99 Burb) with headers. I want around 300 hp with decent economy. Mine is 2wd, so I'm going with a vintage street-rod look to mine. I am considering finding a similar 4wd to go with 33's or 35's. Thinking 3/4 ton for that because of the tire size. I'd like a diesel for that project I think, but a 454 would be good. I'm interested to hear what others say too, as I am not familiar with lifting Burbs...more of a Jeep guy, but I want something I can haul the kids around in too (all 5 of them!)
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Mines a 1996 4X4 1500, back in '96 we added a 6" ProComp lift (junk, IMO) and in '97 we removed the ProComp for a Rancho 6" which now has over 200,000 miles on it with no issues. We also installed Mickey Thompson Alcoa's 16x10 with BFG A/Ts or M/ts, K&N coldair, JBA headers, Magnaflow cat-back, 4.56 Precision Gears and a Hypertech programmer (just to adjust for the tires and gear change). I don't drive it much anymore as I usually now drive my Silverado or my wifes Trailblazer.

I have a 4" lift, I believe it is a Rancho kit. Oversized tires but they aren't 33s I think. K&N air filter. These were put on the rig before I bought it.

I recently added painless wiring digital power manager for dual battery control, and a Clifford 50.7x matrix alarm. Also following is going to be some stereo equipment.

The other performance mod I added was the SSBC brakes dual piston front brake kit. I helped a bit in the braking department. I'm going to eventually swap the rear drums for rear discs, also thru SSBC.

When my G80 blew up, I replaced it with an ARB locker.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Sr. Apprentice

I tend to mod everything....here's my Suburban
    Lift
    Lights
    Hid's
    Stereo
    Gears
    Air Intake
    Performance Software
    Etc

1998 Suburban K2500 4x4
    9" of Lift - 4.56's - Limited Slip
    37" Tires - Lot's of Mods

So the K&N air filter seems like a good thing for me to add, anyone have any advice on programmers? I know little about them or what companies sell them.

@TurboChris: Just wondering where you got those headlights on the roof rack from, they look awesome!
    1999 Chevy Suburban 4x4
    Sumitomo All terrains

Quote Originally Posted by TurboChris View Post
    I tend to mod everything....here's my Suburban
    Lift
    Lights
    Hid's
    Stereo
    Gears
    Air Intake
    Performance Software
    Etc
    Can you give more details on the HID's? I have some APC projector lights, but they were terrible. I figure if I put HID's in the bulbs the projectors might work better. What kit did you use?

Slightly off topic, but I have the APC housings, which in addition to being horrible don't mount the bulbs correctly so when I put in ebay HIDs I blinded everyone and took it all out.

Back on topic, John I assume you have a 1/2 ton so some of my upgrades will be inapplicable, but just for grins I:
    lifted the front slightly with torsion keys
    lifted the rear slightly with RAS
    added Hummer H2 wheels and 265/70-17 All Terrain T/A KO tires
    Gibson cat back
    K & N intake
    other blah blah
    mirrors, door handles, flares, and D pillars painted body color

You know, just the regular stuff. Much more too. Just not sure which direction you're headed.

With my K-2500 I tow a small trailer filled with lots of toys, some I put on top with my four bar Yakima rack. With a 454 I don't lack for power, but I had to play with that, Hypertech, MSD, pillar gauges because the stock Vortec wasn't much in 1998.

So what are you trying to do, other than lift, wheels, and tires?
    1998 K-2500 Suburban
    454 w/ 4L80E
    Suspension Maxx T-Bar Keys Gibson Cat Back K&N Intake
    Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover Hypertech Programmer
    MSD 6A, Blaster Coil & Wires Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Hummer H2 wheels w/ BFG All Terrrain T/A KO

Besides that mostly looking to improve performance a bit if I can, but I also would eventually like to add extra lights, a grille guard and maybe a few other exterior mods. Thanks for everyones' advice!
    1999 Chevy Suburban 4x4
    Sumitomo All terrains

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast