GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default GM Oil Life Monitor

Does anyone use the built-in Oil Life Monitor in their modern GM engine?

Also, who's using regular oil, synthetic or a blend? I'm thinking of moving to a 50/50% regular/synthetic blend and then maybe moving to 100% synthetic.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Also, who's using regular oil, synthetic or a blend? I'm thinking of moving to a 50/50% regular/synthetic blend and then maybe moving to 100% synthetic.
    stevio,why go 50 50 why not go 100 percent,are you worried abut leakage,,if it will by pass gaskets,it will do it at 50 50 as well ,,so try it and see ,,,,i use mobil 1 ,,,abuelito

I personally follow it.

The monitors are calibrated for Regular oil.

I use synthetics and since they last longer I figure using the OLM is an even better bet.

I usually change it at about 10% and thats about 7000 miles worth of driving for me, I'm on the freeway 90% of the time so 7000 miles makes sense.

I'm pretty much convinced I need to move to synthetics straight across from now on.

Quote from GM
    The GM solution is for motorists to depend on its patented Oil Life System (OLS). The owner's manuals in today's GM fleet no longer make specific mileage recommendations. Instead, the GM Oil Life System analyzes the engine's operational data including but not limited to temperature, revolutions, speed, to calculate the rate of engine oil degradation and determine when an oil is nearing the end of its life. At this point a message on the dashboard signals that it is time to change oil.

Each OLS computer model is engine-specific because GM believes each engine behaves differently under the various driving situations and conditions. For this reason ]GM is on record as stating there can be no standard oil change interval. Both cars and driving styles vary. The OLS allegedly calculates all factors pertaining to the engine and the driver and thereby makes its oil change recommendations.

GM senior project engineer Robert Stockwell has been studying analyzed oil samples from vehicles with OLS.

Sr. Apprentice

Steve just right to 100% last oil change took 5500miles an i only changed it because the message center on truck said to i use amsoil here in florida 5w30 an amsoil oil filter johnny

I wouldn't bother with a 50/50 blend. I went straight to 100% synthetic after i bought it at about 20k miles with 5k mile oil change increments.
    I've read that the only time one shouldn't switch to synthetic is if their engine is an high mileage engine or if it didn't have good oil change intervals. The detergents in the synthetic can knock loose the sludge and crap that's built up and clog the oil passages. Then your stuck with a giant paper weight.

Edit: Oh, and i haven't payed attention to the OLM much. Maybe i will now.
    Brian
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L V8
    61k'ish miles
    Red Extended Cab
    The workhorse

1999 Mercury Cougar
    2.5L V6
    60k'ish miles
    Pearl white with black racing stripes
    The bitchy younger step-brother

I am not using that supposed oil life moniter. I don't believe it works. I use mobil 1 full syn. extended life and the computer is still taking the same amount of time to decline the percentage if that makes any sense. Any ways I bought the truck with 8 miles on it and now have 6000. I have used full syn. for years and love it. I drive about 7k before changing. I know that mobil says 15k but thats ok I will pay more and change it more.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

when i first got my truck i was told that the oil life monitor is very percise and even had a built in margin for error .. after a few oil changes i accidently hit the reset button betwen changes and it returned to 100% leading me to believe that it was based on time therefor i no longer use it, nor would i recomend it..
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

I am using Royal Purple (syn.) and using the OLM. As I have not really seen any real positives to using R.P., I will probably go back to Mobile 1 at the next oil change. Royal Purple is considerably higher than Mobil 1, but I figured I would give it a try. Bottom line, it is hard to beat Mobil 1.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by retired2001 View Post
    I am using Royal Purple (syn.) and using the OLM. As I have not really seen any real positives to using R.P., I will probably go back to Mobile 1 at the next oil change. Royal Purple is considerably higher than Mobil 1, but I figured I would give it a try. Bottom line, it is hard to beat Mobil 1.
    I'm in the same boat right now. I put in Royal Purple because I heard it was really good. Then, I learn Mobil 1 would be just as good for my application, and it sure is less expensive! Oh well...live and learn!

I don't really look at the OLM that much. I peek at it every now and then just to see what it says. I plan on running 6K on this oil change (putting on a new filter at 3K due to a tip I got that Fram filters suck) then switching to Mobil 1. After that switch, I'll probably run about 7K or so between changes.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by