GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '97 K1500 Suburban Whine @ 45 mph on coast or deceleration

Hi, I just bought this truck and noticed in 2HI that when I hit 45 there is this resonance that continues 'til 50-55 and goes away. It is intermittent after leaving a complete stop but becomes apparent after backing off throttle after reaching moderate speeds, The truck is super clean but has been used to tow probably most of her life. What do you think it is? Diff, Trans, F, R, bearings? Give me some input please, I'm hoping that it is something really of no consequence. I only hear it with no load at all.

Thanks for your input!!! I'm hoping you can put my mind at ease!

T
    Tim Egan

'97 K1500 Suburban

It sounds like gear whine. I get a subtle whine from both my transmission and rear end. Both have been altered. GM gears seem to be quieter than aftermarket gears. I have motive gears in my truck and they sing a little bit, not obnoxious but it's obvious. I believe my transmission whines because of the way my heavier planet gears are cut. It almost sounds like the thing is supercharged. (I have a supercharged GTP and it whines like this, but louder).

re: the mind at ease part.... you'll be the 1st to know if/when the thing is actually screwed up. But it's probably "normal". I know my gears are installed correctly and they whine. I know other folks who freak out or find that unacceptable or annoying and they'll reinstall the gears 2 or 3 times and/or ultimately change manufacturers and they'll still sing. So they're chasing their tail.

They are new. Goodyear Wranglers, just like the original equipment/