GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Getting Lift kit and 35's, Need help on gear ratio!

Ok so I'm thinking about getting a new silverado to replace my current one. I want to put a 6" liftkit(thinkin fabtech performance w/ 4.0 dirt logics?) and 35" tires(nitto trail grapplers mt). My question is what axle ratio should I get with it? I can chose from 3.08, or 3.42? I do very little heavy towing, and about 20% my driving will be offroad,40% highway, 40% city. I think that 3.42 would work well enough, but with those tires on there it will actually be back down in 3.04 range . So when I regear it should I get it closer to the 3.42 or 3.73? I'm sorry If I'm not making any sense. This is all new to me, I've never had to change my gear ratio before. Thanks in advance

to start what is your stock gear ratio and tire size (vehicle etc). that will decide the right range. knowing those to things will help us out in advice. Looking at your driving style I would say that when you change gears go with what will get you back close to the stock range.

Also if I read it right and you have a 3.08 and a 3.42 would bring it back close go with that. in that case the 3.73 would be better for towing but increase highway RPM etc. with your driving I would try to bring it as close to stock as possible.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 07-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Go with 4.10s for mileage or 4.56s for more grunt. I have both and like the 4.56s better. 3.42s or 3.73s just aren't enough gear for 35" tires.

Ok so I'm thinking about getting a new silverado to replace my current one. I want to put a 6" liftkit(thinkin fabtech performance w/ 4.0 dirt logics?) and 35" tires(nitto trail grapplers mt). My question is what axle ratio should I get with it? I can chose from 3.08, or 3.42? I do very little heavy towing, and about 20% my driving will be offroad,40% highway, 40% city. I think that 3.42 would work well enough, but with those tires on there it will actually be back down in 3.04 range . So when I regear it should I get it closer to the 3.42 or 3.73? I'm sorry If I'm not making any sense. This is all new to me, I've never had to change my gear ratio before. Thanks in advance
    You might want to read all the way through this topic ... IMO: it's a good discussion of the issues (and contains some good links as well, such as this gear table -- tire size VS gear ratios).

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Go with 4.10s for mileage or 4.56s for more grunt. I have both and like the 4.56s better. 3.42s or 3.73s just aren't enough gear for 35" tires.
    X2...check out the table 04-silverado posted a link to. Running 35's with 3.42's or higher (lower numerically) is going to wreak hell on your tranny and your truck is going to be a dog. As you can see from the chart 4.10's or 4.56's are much better.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Thanks to everyone, it helps me a lot. I was way off! So now I think 4.56 is the way to go. It will get me pretty close to stock. And if I even wanted 37's it would still work. Thanks a million.

Default re-gear

After I get my new driveshaft, I'm gonna change the gears to 4.10 in my '10 2500HD. I can't stand all the shifting goin' on when I'm on cruise control on the highway in WV & MD. Drives me nuts.

I have 6" Skyjacker & running 35's. Soon as I figure out how to attach pics, I will...

if your stock is 3.73 then yeah definately going to the 4.56 will give you the best grunt etc and be better if you upgraded to 37's
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member