GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Al Gore in Toronto!

It's like the Oscars of the Environment.

Some of the biggest stars of the anti-global warming movement are gathering in Toronto this weekend to warn you about climate change and why it's not too late to do something about it.

Check out this line-up at the Green Living Show: Al Gore, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., David Suzuki, Jamie Kennedy, Canadian astronaut Dr. Roberta Bondar and even Hollywood's favourite former mermaid Daryl Hannah will all be here over the next few days, reminding you it can be easy being green.

Gore, whose Oscar-winning movie "An Inconvenient Truth" has made him something of an environmental icon across the planet, is scheduled to deliver his momentous message Saturday morning. But if you don't have tickets, it's already too late - the show is sold out.

Among those trying to ensure his vision comes true: Premier Dalton McGuinty, who introduced another kind of green Friday: a four-year, $24 million investment to make it easier for you to protect the environment.

It will provide you with up to $150 towards the cost of a home energy audit, so you can improve cooling, heating and help conserve water and electricity in your home.

Some of the money will also go to a place that won't be immediately apparent. It will be used to develop new technologies that are past the testing stage but can't quite find the funding to push them over the edge.

"We want people to know what is possible, that we can all in fact do something," McGuinty relates. "You can save money, you can improve energy efficiency and you can save the environment at the same time."

If action is more your style than talk, the show also features 350 exhibitors, displaying the latest hybrids and electric cars, Segways, bicycles, earth friendly motorcycles, a "living wall" made up entirely of plants, organic edibles, a housing 'suite' that shows you the latest technology for living green, solar panels and even canoes.

Just to name a few.

If you miss it, you might be green - with envy.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Great, send all those folks pedaling the mind-control-cult of global warming somewhere awa from me.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Great, send all those folks pedaling the mind-control-cult of global warming somewhere awa from me.
    I don't subscribe completely to the global warming theories but I just thought I'd post it cuz it seems to be a hot topic in the news lately. Poor David Suzuki is getting beat up bad for his veiws on it...

When I see a tree, I too sadly see firewood. Not clean air...my bad. I'm far from being a polluter though...
    Last edited by Cableguy; 04-28-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    global warming..... seems to be a hot topic
    um...yeah

Feel free to keep Mr Personality up there.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Well, sometimes I let my tongue slip. Oops. This is not a political board, unless we're talking about the goofy politics of Ford, then it's ok.

It's sort of odd, becuase it's clear that we have air quality problems, just visit Dallas in the middle of August when we have an "orange air pollution hazard day" YIKES. (newscaster) "Children and elderly should stay inside today ... now here's Newy with sports." I'm just not convinced that the earth doesn't natually warm or cool +/- 10F or 15F every 1500 years or so.

These same scientists that suggest that the earth's mean temp has risen by 1.3F in the past 130 years also suggest that the earth has swings of heat and cold (ice ages anyone?). I think fixing air quality should be the main issue, which can be done with 1) better fuel blends, 2) better eminssions control systems, 3) everyone else driving less so I can drive more.

Legend

I agree Steve.

Recent studies showed that they determined the last major Ice age was ended by massive global warming, much more than what we're experiencing now. Those pesky dinosaurs were driving their SUVs all the time. That's what really did it.