GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Second opinion

Legend

Default Second opinion

I talked with Jamie about this at length, and he seems to feel he's found an answer. But I'd like a second opinion on what this is. I don't want to say what we think it might be, because I don't want people to simply agree.

When I sent my heads out for my rebuild, I hadn't pulled the sensors or plugs, since I didn't want the holes to rust up before they were worked.
    Anyway, when I got the heads back all sensors and plugs were pulled. Which would normally not be a problem, but I have no idea what the heck these sensors were.

I know that they are not coolant temp sensors(hole's too big), knock sensors, or oil sending units (wrong location).
    They thread into the water jacket of the head, and the connector is to a single wire.

The sensor goes here, as indicated by the arrow in the picture. Both heads have this same hole, and each had a sensor. So any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3220035.jpg  
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 05-27-2007 at 09:06 AM.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

when my uncle got his 454 heads back form the shop, that same hole had nothing in it. There was one head that had a plug in it, and the other one simply had a hole. He eventually found the sensor that he had removed, but forgot about. I think the sensor was a water temp sensor, but I don't think we even figured it out. When I get over to his house, I'll try to take a pic of the hole and the sensor.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    when my uncle got his 454 heads back form the shop, that same hole had nothing in it. There was one head that had a plug in it, and the other one simply had a hole. He eventually found the sensor that he had removed, but forgot about. I think the sensor was a water temp sensor, but I don't think we even figured it out. When I get over to his house, I'll try to take a pic of the hole and the sensor.
    If you can get a pic that would be great!
    I won't plug the holes, as I do have wiring that goes to the sensors that used to be there. OBDI is terribly inefficient in my opinion, I don't want to give it a reason to be worse by not installing the sensors. Not to mention the CEL/SES will be on, and that will make me crazy
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Legend

That's it then? No one has any other ideas, or knows what it is?
    I guess I'll have to call the dealer on Monday.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Default Temp sensor location

If you are talking about the port between the center exhaust ports, it is for a temp sensor, that is used on the driver's side, and plugged on the passenger side.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend

I am referring to that, but both of the heads had sensors, and I have wiring for both, that and the temp sensors I bought match the sensor on the manifold. There doesn't appear to be a different temp sensor option out there.

So general consensus is that it's a temp sensor. Now I just need to figure out what the part number is.

Thanks unplugged, and Crawdaddy!

Once I get the part#, and relevant info, I'll post it here for future ref.

One of the things that throws me off, is my schematics do not show these sensors.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Talking There can be only one

The temperature switch that goes in the drivers side is available from AutoZone pn: TU169 $11 I don't have a BB to look at, but I am not aware of any sensor on the passenger side.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend

It's probably the same sensor. At least I hope so, since that's what I'm going to buy, is two of them.
    I would gladly save myself the $$ and buy only one, but since I remember a sensor on the pass side, plus the wire is there, I will have to get two.

Thanks again for the part # that's a huge help!
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    I will have to get two.
    All these endless truck parts. Patrick we have other expenses you know!...Sound familiar. Ya grab a blanket/pillow and fight the dog for a good spot on the couch.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E