GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Steering Issues

Default Steering Issues

I have an 82 K10 4x4. Most of the time it drives straight as an arrow. I can usually let go of the steering wheel on a straight, smoothe road and it wont veer off to one side or the other. But, occasionally after I make a right turn it will just jerk pretty violently back and forth out of nowhere and it's hard to control. Today after I made a right turn it jerked a couple times and then I had to hold the steering wheel like i was making a right turn just to keep the truck STRAIGHT! Anybody have any ideas? This thing has felt like a death trap the last couple of days.
    -1982 K10 Pickup AKA "Big Red" -

Do you have a steering stabilizer on it now?
    If not might want to add one, if you do check to see it isnt worn out.
    Also check the pitman arm and steering gear box for excessive wear.

I got under there yesterday and pretty much ALL of the bushings are worn out on everything under there. Any idea how much that would cost to take in and have replaced? I dont really have the knowledge or the proper tools to safely take all of that stuff apart. I'd like to leave it to a professional. My steering isn't something I really want to mess around with without the right tools.
    -1982 K10 Pickup AKA "Big Red" -

Have you ever had your steering come apart while traveling down the road? I have. More than once even. This can cause tons of damage, personal injury or even death. Park it and fix it.
    By the way you probably have all the tools needed. You may need to buy a large/heavy hammer and two sizes of tuning forks, (joint separators).But that's fairly cheap.
    It's far less technical than replacing cylinder heads, but a whole lot more physical. Follow instructions in your repair manual and you'll be fine. Just expect this to take an entire day.
    I recently paid our local shop $580.00 for upper and lower ball joints on a company truck, (both sides). That was a bargain.
    I've got a lot of experience with your series of truck, and I think your gonna need about everything there is up front.
    The good news is that once your finished your good for another 10 to 20 years.
    Half the battle with any job is confidence. So go ahead and tackle it.