GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default What to do with a 35" spare tire!!

I'm thinking about getting some 35" tires for a nbs silverado. My question is where does everyone put them. I know somebody is gonna say the bed, but for me thats outta the question. The reason I bought a truck is for all the bed space. A roof rack isn't much better, but I haven't found a single one that looks decent while haulin a 35" spare tire on the roof. I never see any silverados runnin around with huge spare tires so either they are cleverly hidden or people simply don't use'm. All input is very much appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I just now thought about keeping a compressor onboard instead. What does everbody else use?
    Last edited by Silverado 4X4; 07-15-2010 at 12:16 PM.

how about getting a spare tire carrier that will replace u're tail gate?
    2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

(AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

Quote Originally Posted by j-schmizzle View Post
    how about getting a spare tire carrier that will replace u're tail gate?
    I thought about that, but I'd kinda like to keep my tail gate. That's a lot uglier. But it'd be great for when I went offroading.
    I was particulary looking at:
    http://www.tiregate.com/index.php

2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

(AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

I carry a big bottle jack, Hi-Lift jack and base, spare stock lug nuts and the sockets to fit both stock and aftermarket lug nuts. It looks like alot but its not. I carry my stock spare, but if you have a rear locker and have a rear flat you have to move the larger front tire to the rear and than put the stock spare on the front. Its a pain in the ass but I've only had to do it once in 5 years. I think its worth doing it this way rather than dealing with a spare 35" tire everyday.

I put my 35 spare where the spare goes. had enough clearance from the exhaust and hitch. now not sure if it is related but the second time I tried to put the tire up there the winch wouldnt lift the tire, so now its in my bed
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I had a spare tire carrier that mounted to the rear bumper on my 95 Tahoe. It swings open so you can access the cargo area. I've seen quite a few like that recently which mount to the hitch. The HG series in your link looks nice.