GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Parts Question, Help Please! :-)

Hi everyone! This is only my second post here... I am really hoping that someone is able to help me out with this and that I have it in the correct place I have been all over the internet, called parts/salvage places, and even called the chevy dealer. I get something different from each and every person.

I am going to explain the best that I can, keeping in mind that I am vehicle/part illiterate and this part is for my brothers truck

The truck is a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500, Base/LT/Work Truck - 5 speed on the floor, 6 cyl 4.3 liter. For now, that is really all I know about it.

He was putting the truck into reverse one day, and the shifter basically fell to the floor. He took it apart to find that something had busted. The best way that I know how to explain it, if you lift the boot of the shifter up you see a few parts and a ball at the end. The ball at the end fits into this box (which seems to be made of something other than metal). It is mostly square and has 4 bolts that bolt to the floor of the truck (assuming it may bolt to the transmission?) This box is the piece that is broken. As you can see from the photos, where 2 of the bolt holes should be, that entire side busted off.

Here is my dilemma. I cannot figure out what this part might be called. Nor can I actually find the part anywhere. I have been told it was called a shift control housing, a shift box, amongst other things. I had one person tell me I had to buy the entire shifter, and another tells me I could buy just the box.

Can anyone help me? I need to either find the part (box and or shifter), or find someone who can find it. I have called around town to different places (where I got the differing stories). I am trying to avoid having to drive all over creation to find the one person who knows what they are talking about

(I have pictures of the shifter, the boot, and what is underneath it in a photo album - but posted a couple here as attachments also)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF7479.JPG   DSCF7480.JPG   DSCF7481.JPG   DSCF7476.JPG   DSCF7484.JPG  

Last edited by Crazymomma21; 07-22-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Pics

I think your local GM dealer should be able to bring up a schemeatic of what you are describing and let you look at it or print it out for you.Calling them leaves alot open for interpretation and they may be too "busy" to thoroughly look into your request.You may want to call or go to a local transmission shop also and descibe or take the part to them.Hopes this helps you. Peter

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Can you look at the part to see if there is a number stamped on it? It could be an 8 digit number.EG. 151632578

I don't know what that part is called exactly. But, if I remember correctly you can get a one of those from Summit Racing or some place like that. It wouldn't be the stock one though, it would be a better, shorter throw one.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response. I think that the very last place that I want to go is to the actual dealer unless its a last resort. (Too busy was a nice thing to say for what they were lol) I had 5 kids at my house today (summer sleepover, wow) so driving to anywhere (tranny shop, local mechanic, etc..) would have been a big chore! I posted hoping someone might have an answer - if not, my plan is to take it to a couple of places tomorrow. There is no part number anywhere on it. My brother said there was a patent pending number, I need to go take a look and see if that gets me anywhere, but it is doubtful. I have a feeling that he is going to have to buy the entire shifter. I am a whiz with google, and I am still left stumped. Thanks again for your reply!

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Hi Mean Green,

I will do a search and see what I can find. At this point, I do not think he cares about stock, and better is even better After hours of searching, I was able to find this http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/componen...mt8c10703.html which gave me some options as far as search words (even though its for an 88' model)... I will update if I find anything!

I just wish I knew the proper name of the part. If you have to talk to someone on the phone tell them that it is the part of the shifter that bolts to the transmission.

Legend

Blog Entries

Got it answered. Thanks for playing all... Shift Tower
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

WOOT! Thank you Springthing you saved me a huge headache... SO glad I joined the forum...

That's what I call it, but I thought that it wasn't the proper name.

Legend

Blog Entries

By the way, may I add that this was a great post...!? Clear, good description, pictures to go along... glad it got answered.