GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Has anyone ever seen a Truck like this??? GMC Topkick Conversion

Hello,
    I'm new to the fourm, and in need of a little assistance... Has anyone ever seen a Truck like this ???
    Trying to do some research but I can't seem to find any info. on them. I'm particularly interested in the White & Blue Ones... The Red one is similar, and I thought it might help jog someones memory...
    Here are some pics... Just can't figure out who did the conversion or if they are Factory Builds... If they are convesions, What were they called ??? All three are 1992 GMC Topkicks w/Cat 3116, Eaton Fuller 10's. Except the red one. It has a 13 speed. Other than that I'm at a stand still... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92 GMC TOPKICK 0042 75%.jpg 
Views:	2103 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	19151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1101667290lb.jpg 
Views:	1255 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	19153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMC Topkick_12.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	19152
    VIN on the White One: VIN 1GDM7H1J3NJ501495

Thanks for your time,
    Michael Maglio

Contact info.
    Phone: 727-424-8564
    E-mail: 87shredr@tampabay.rr.com

Welcome to the site. I think that if you google 'toterhomes' or '5th wheel tractors' you might find out what the proper name for what these are called is. I saw tractors like this pulling small team race trailers and some just towing huge 5th wheels. A company in Indiana used to make the conversions for 'over the road' drivers that wanted a bigger sleeper for semi's but they also had a line for F650s and Topkicks. Look under sleeper conversions; sorry don't recall the name of the company.
    Last edited by BluBurb89; 07-20-2010 at 05:47 PM.

1989 R1500 Silverado Suburban
    5.7L, TBI w/ Dual remote oil filters,
    16" 2010 CFM E-fan, K&N filter
    TH700R w/ Aluminum pan, remote trans fluid filter and aux trans fluid cooler
    Air shocks rear,
    7x16 dual axle cargo trailer; 10K Reese HD trunnion bar WDS, dual friction sway dampeners
    Cuz....I like to move it, move it....
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for the info. I did some searching today for a bit but did'nt come up with much. Contacted a man in Janesville at a Chevy dealer ship near where the truck was originally manufactured. The Chevy plant has since closed, but he's also trying to help out a little... if you hear or see anything else please contact me...

Thanks again for your input...
    Michael

Try http://roadmastertruck.com/ or http://www.trucksleeper.com/. These folks may be able to answer your questions. Good Luck!

With the economy the way its been alot of those conversion companies have closed down. Hopefully one of these companies has survived.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I know for the F-650's there is a Big Co in Ga that builds them. I think the co you were thinking of was Double eagle. Check out this Some photos of the Chevy's Fords and CXT's... http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...w=1259&bih=567
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Engineer

Monroe truck equipment out of Monroe, WI does conversions like that.

Well gentlemen, Still haven't figured this one out... Tried Raodmaster Truck & Truck Sleeper, haven't heard back though. Maybe by the begining of the week. Also in answer to "Greg84"... I originally thought the same thing, But Monroe said no not their truck either. I thought for sure it was a monroe. Just wanna thank everyone for the help. Someone knows something about these trucks, just have to find him...

Keep the feelers out for me boys, let me know if you uncover the mystery... ???

Well gentleman... THE SEARCH IS OVER !!! The Builder is Dennis Schwalbe of "Schwalbe Trucks..." To everyone that helped a very big thank you for all your help !!! Looks like i'm on my way o miami to pick up my new rig...

Thanks again for your input...

Michael