GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Noise

Jr. Apprentice

Default Noise

All,

Lately, I've been noticing a chirping coming from the front wheels of my Suburban. It happens more at higher speeds than anything else. I had the brakes and rotors done about six months ago, along with the pittman and idler arms.

The sound isn't that noticeable at low speeds, however, I do hear a noise, almost sounding like a click-type pen coming from the wheels (can't tell if its front or back) at lower speeds. It sounds like something is loose but I can't put my finger on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kevin

bearings maybe? it would make sense that it would get louder as speed increases. Unfortunatley, it's not good to continue driving on bad bearings. If they ged bad enough, wheel bearings can actually fuse to themselves... I wish I had pics of 18-wheeler bearings that basically welded themselves together..
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Like Crawdaddy said look at the bearings, also look at the squeelers for the brake pads they could be barely touching. Spray the rotors with brake cleener and see if you can stop the sound by knocking a little brake dust off.
    Have you had the truck on jacks and spun the wheel to see if you can produce the noise?

Quote Originally Posted by kknobl View Post
    All,

Lately, I've been noticing a chirping coming from the front wheels of my Suburban. It happens more at higher speeds than anything else. I had the brakes and rotors done about six months ago, along with the pittman and idler arms.

The sound isn't that noticeable at low speeds, however, I do hear a noise, almost sounding like a click-type pen coming from the wheels (can't tell if its front or back) at lower speeds. It sounds like something is loose but I can't put my finger on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Did you ever get an answer to your question ? I have a '98, 4X, 2500 with a very pronounced "TICKING" noise coming from the front axel / wheels / hub... I am starting to think it might have something to do with the auto 4wd ?
    '98 K2500 454 4x4 Race Car Tow Vehicle

Bearings, CV Joint, more likely CV joint if it clicks at low speed.

Put the thing on jack stands, wiggle the wheel back an forth while a helper watches the CV Joint. If there is movement in one end of the joint and not the other, even the smallest amount it’s the joint.

Wheel bearings can do the same thing but the wine, is that the right spelling? Would start very quickly at even low speeds.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I second what Fiero said, it sounds like CV joints. But since I don't know what type of Suburban kknobl is driving, I'm not sure if it has CV joints.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I second what Fiero said, it sounds like CV joints. But since I don't know what type of Suburban kknobl is driving, I'm not sure if it has CV joints.
    If kknobl is talking about the burb he bought, it's a '93 c1500. So no cv joints on that bad boy.

ref:http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2740
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Jr. Apprentice

Just an update:

I took the car to STS and they went over the entire front suspension: bearings, ball joints, etc. and found nothing.

They test drove it with the wheel covers on (heard the noise) and then took them off and drove it. No noise with the wheel covers off. I've been driving around with the covers off ever since, and I haven't heard the noise again.

Kevin

Time for some custom wheels?!?