GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default The Headaches of Coil Spring Spacers....

I installed coil spring spacers on my truck over a year ago. I love the look of the front end being a little higher. However, I am now facing the consequences.

I installed them myself and I didn't have all of the appropriate tools, so the boots on both outer tie rods were damaged during installation. I kept them greased, but they finally had to be replaced. Parts, labor and an alignment set me back about $250. My fault for cutting corners, but still a pain.

On the way home today, I noticed some kind of clicking sound in the suspension. I found it was coming from the passenger side, so I pulled the wheel only to find that the top pin had sheared off of my shock! I put shock spacers on both front shocks to compensate for the increased height when I installed the coil spring spacers. Apparently, this made a weak spot, and it must have gotten in a bind enough times to finally break. Luckily, I bought my shocks at AutoZone, and they had a lifetime warranty, which AutoZone honored and replaced it for free (props to AutoZone for that)! The bad thing is, I had no choice but to put the extender back on the new shock so it would fit, so it may happen again after another year or so.

I figure the only real fix for the shock issue is to either spend lots of money on shocks made for trucks with lifts (which I do not want to do), or get someone to remove my coil spring spacers (which I also do not want to do). Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions on an effective, yet affordable solution to this problem? Thanks in advance!!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

I've never heard or seen a shock break from a leveling kit. Maybe the shock was just defective and would have broken anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

Legend
    Blog Entries

This might be my lack of knowledge but dont you have a torsion bar suspension in the front of your truck? I know my 2006 did and it was 2wd as well.. Im just wondering. Since if you do have torsion bars then why not put leveling keys in the front then? That way you eliminate the spring spacers..
    Or else when time/budget allow put an actual lift/leveling kit if you dont have torsion bars. I believe they can be had pretty cheap, and that way you know you have all the heavy duty components that you will need.

And i also agree with Silver that the shock could have been defective to begin with...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

'04's came with either front coil springs or torson bars, not both. That was a change over year for the front suspensions.

Legend
    Blog Entries

See i did not know but he has an 05.. Hence my asking. I get confused since it seems that GM used a hodge podge of parts.

At work we have a few 05,06, and 07 2wd trucks with no mods that break the upper shock bolts about every 6 mos. Being their company trucks I suspect they get pounded on but it shows that there is a problem with the shocks, we continue to replace with OEM shocks but I doubt changing to a different shock manufacturer would fix the problem.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, Tim. I think the main culprit was the shock extenders that I mentioned. It made the top bolt of the shock 2" taller to compensate for the coil spacers, so that may have made it more vulnerable to break. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them and replace when necessary. Hopefully that particular shock was just faulty as some of you mentioned. Thanks for your input!!

murdog94, we made it a point to go out and look at a customers truck (mainly 2wd) to see what front end was under the truck before we gave a price for work to be done. Big differance in labor between a coil spring and a torson bar leveling kit.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    murdog94, we made it a point to go out and look at a customers truck (mainly 2wd) to see what front end was under the truck before we gave a price for work to be done. Big differance in labor between a coil spring and a torson bar leveling kit.
    Oh i get that now.. Just did some looking myself. And TBplus i didnt know that they were that prone.. Even beating a truck shouldnt result in a broken shock semi annually.

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Oh i get that now.. Just did some looking myself. And TBplus i didnt know that they were that prone.. Even beating a truck shouldnt result in a broken shock semi annually.
    You'd be amazed at the damage the jerks at my work can do to a truck. We've had a couple newer trucks totalled in the last two years for suspension damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by