GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: rear brake fail

Default rear brake fail

I have a 09 silverado. Has anyone had a problem with one of thier rear brakes with the pad coming off of the shoe and locking up the wheel then blowing a break line. Well that is what the dealer said had happened. Something doesn't seem to add up. I only have 7200 miles noway should I have had a problem like this. Should of I ?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I sure hope they fixed it under warranty.. Seems to me you had something fail that shouldnt have. And the brake pad should never come off like that..
    And welcome aboard.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sr. Apprentice

you said pad coming off the shoe.2 things here i dont think the pad came off.not sure but if the ebrake shoe is inside the rear rotor it may have came off the shoe and that may have locked up the rotor and wheel

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

late 80s early 90s it was not uncommon for the linning to come off the plate if it was riveted on(c30 and 3500)talking front here
    Last edited by mthomas; 07-28-2010 at 01:21 PM.

When I was transfering from California to Georgia in 91 I had a 3 month old 92 Chevy Dually with 4800 miles throw a brake shoe, the right rear wheels locked up and the truck slid into a guard rail, luckily the trailer I was towing carrying my wifes Firebird stopped before making contact with the guard rail.
    It took the dealership 6 hours to get the brake shoe and drum off, when they did they found out the brake shoe media had come delaminated from the metal and popped the rivets.
    I wasnt using the brakes when it happened but the truck pulled to the right and stopped immediately from about 70mph.

They replaced the strap bolts on the axle, soft brake lines, and rear shocks because they suspected their might be hidden damage, the warranty also covered damage to the rear fender.
    Infact GM was so nice to me they lent me a new truck to finish my move with and when the repairs were done on my truck they sent a driver from New Mexico (where the problem occured) to Georgia to return my truck and pick up their truck.

So yea it happens every once in a while.

You guys must have crapped you draws when the brakes locked up, I would have!

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    You guys must have crapped you draws when the brakes locked up, I would have!
    Couldnt, the seat cushion and covering had me to blocked up, thought I was gonna have to use the jaws of life to sepparate me from the seat.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Im amazed Gm as that nice.. But that was wayt back.. When anything failed on my truck and it went to the dealer i got treated like it was my fault...
    And this is actually the first time ive meet people who this has actually happened to. Usually you just hear stories about brakes failing like that.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

hey thanks guys for all of the replys. as it turns out our dealer is very good with thier customers. they said it was a failed seal and the shoe seperated from the housing and thats what locked up the brake. Sure glad we weren't going as fast as the other guy. Everything was covered and they also gave us a 2010 loner truck for three days. so i guess it worked out and nobody got hurt.
    thanks again for the responses

jeff - Proud silveraldo owner

That's just plain old bad luck when something like that happens. You'll get a pad or shoe that wasn't stuck down to the backing properly, and off it goes on the freeway. Ain't that always the way?