GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New blood checking in.

First off; I must confess that I am a Ford guy...:na: However, I love Suburbans and I buy what makes the most sense.

I currently own an `87 Ford van converted to 4wd by a company called Pathfinder Conversions and it is a super rare beast that rolls on 35s and has a built 425hp 460 big-block.

However, it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have had to have a vehicle towed due to breakdowns 4 times in my life and 3 of those have been with this thing.

It also gets around 8mpg and needs a lot of little things. So, I'm selling it and have been shopping for a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition for the last 3 weeks.

Tomorrow, I finally drive to Phoenix to check out 3 vehicles and the one on the top of my list is a `97 K1500 Suburban loaded w/ power everything and leather. It has 139k miles on it and looks like it is absolutely mint. Price is $4500 OBO.

Prices on Tahoes and Suburbans are very reasonable around here. I originally wanted a Yukon/Tahoe, but they are harder to find in mint condition for under $5k.

If the Suburban is as nice as it seems, then I will be driving it home.

It will be used to haul the wife and kids camping and on long trips up North to Idaho. I don't have an RV but will likely be getting a camper trailer in the 25' range next year so I will resist the urge to install a big lift and tires on the Burb.

I am hoping to install new torsion bar keys in the front and an add-a-leaf in the back for 2" of lift.

I have owned 2 suburbans before; one a 76 2wd beater and the `77 3/4-ton 4x4 on 35s in my avatar. I have also owned a `98 C1500 ext cab pickup that I lowered and rodded and was so impressed with the Vortec small-block that I wanted one in my next Suburban.

I will be lurking here hoping to gain some more knowledge though I am no stranger to off-roading mods and performance mods...

Welcome to the club.

Well, I just brought the beast home; got the `97 Suburban K1500 w/ 139k miles. It had some issues mechanically that I'm not happy with, but the body and interior were in amazingly good condition compared to all of the other vehicles that I looked at.

It needs brakes, tires, a tune-up, and all of the fluids changed. It has a newer radiator and is bone stock.

I got the price down to $4100, which I'm happy with, but I will probably be dumping another $1000 into it before it is deemed road trip worthy.

I already have a set of brand new Mickey Thompson rims and Pro-comp all-terrains sitting in my garage off of a Jeep Wagoneer project, so those will go on in the next hour, though the tires are a bit too small, they will work for the next couple of months...

Heading outside to start pulling plugs and getting a list together for a trip to Autozone...

Here's the pics:

Sr. Apprentice

nice ride!

Looks real nice... Sounds like a great deal. For that price you can afford to sink a little dough into it and have a great family hauler.

2010 Suburban Z71 5.3 A6, Sheer Silver, Ebony Interior

2004 Lexus RX330 AWD - Netune Blue Metalic

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard, that is a nice looking Suburban.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"