GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default rear suspension fix options?

I have a 2002 silverado with the z71 package. My problem is the rear suspension is not even (rocks crooked when going over speed bumps, one side seems stiffer than the other). The truck had been in a crash before I bought it, somebody hit it on the passenger side. The passenger doors were caved in, and the guy I bought it from said he had to replace one leaf on the passenger side. So I'm thinking it must be the leaf he put in is not as worn as the other side, causing a difference in stiffness. Would it make that much difference? Maybe the frame is a little bent? The truck needed new shocks, so I put some Bilsteins on and that helped the problem a lot, but not totally. I also replaced the rear passenger hanger/bracket thinking that might be the issue as it was a little bent. That didn't seem to change anything. The other thing is I would like to beef up the back end a little for towing. Should I:
    put in 2500 springs?
    add a leaf?
    airbags?

Maybe with bags I could put different air pressure to even it out?

suggestions appreciated
    Last edited by superUPer; 08-04-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Welcome to the club. You should always change both springs together. A add a leaf won't help. I'd change both springs.

Change both springs, and both shocks. That will GREATLY improve the ride quality. If you are going to be towing, definitely go for air bags in the rear, keeps stock ride quality when not towing, but adds strength for when you're towing.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Ya know probably the first thing I would do is get a 4 wheel alignment to make sure everything under there is straight.
    If everythings O.K. then I'd probably make a decision either to replace the springs with an OEM spring or something like it or if I was planning on doing a lot of towing I'd look into a set of airbags.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Ya know probably the first thing I would do is get a 4 wheel alignment to make sure everything under there is straight.
    If everythings O.K. then I'd probably make a decision either to replace the springs with an OEM spring or something like it or if I was planning on doing a lot of towing I'd look into a set of airbags.

Alignment was one of the first things I did when I got the truck. Shop said everything looked good. I've been looking into air bags, trying to decide between air ride, firestone, and hellwig. I might just put the bags on first and see if running different pressures will compensate for the springs. If not I'll look into a full set of replacement springs.