GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by hundojoe View Post
    Well its not that easy and you need some special tools, not to mention that when you swap gear sets you have to get the contact pattern just right, If you dont the rear end wont last that long, so you would prolly want to take it to a shop, Good luck.
    ahh well then i might be just sticking with the bolt ons but we'll see

well i found a local shop that the owner had a 1990 454 SS featured in truckin magazine a few years ago (for making about 1000 hp and pulling down a 10.1 in the 1/4 mile) so i'm thinking i might be able to go with better cams/ ported & polished head as well. would it be better to start on the internals (and maybe have him tune it) and work my way out?? (Like upgrading cams/ port&polish/ maybe bore it out?) then move onto bolt ons. or should i start with bolt ons?

I figure that having said shop owner work on my truck would make me feel a bit safer than just some guy at a local chain mech. shop.

Theres some write ups on some other GM sites that will help with the installing of the gears, 4.10 would be good. Honestly though, If I were you I would pull the 5.3l out and sell it then pick up a 6.0l. If you're wanting a custom tune message jennabear from black bear performance and see when Justin is doing a tune meet in your area. He will tune the truck to your driving habits. You should be able to find a 6.0l for like 6-700. Maybe even cheaper. I believe they have like 345 HP stock. It would be a much better starting point then the 5.3l. Be sure to do some transmission upgrades as well.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    Theres some write ups on some other GM sites that will help with the installing of the gears, 4.10 would be good. Honestly though, If I were you I would pull the 5.3l out and sell it then pick up a 6.0l. If you're wanting a custom tune message jennabear from black bear performance and see when Justin is doing a tune meet in your area. He will tune the truck to your driving habits. You should be able to find a 6.0l for like 6-700. Maybe even cheaper. I believe they have like 345 HP stock. It would be a much better starting point then the 5.3l. Be sure to do some transmission upgrades as well.
    wel thats the thing, if i keep the 5.3 and went with the bolt ons, wouldnt it be cheaper instead of going with a 6.0? Or how much would it cost to install it?

Well a good aftermarket cam will run at least $400 dollars not installed, and a decent set of heads will be $1500-2000 not installed, and there is quit a bit of tear down to install these parts. So maybe start with the things that you can do your self, such as a handheld tuner and a bolt on intake, and as your experience grows dive in a little deeper into motor mods, Just remember horsepower costs ALOT of money and labor cost almost as much. Good luck.
    1999 Silverado Regular Cab Short Box
    Black on Black, Line-X sprayed in bed liner
    5.3 with K&N CAI, Texas Speed 220/220 cam with 112 deg LSA
    Texas Speed computer Tune
    American Racing Headers with Cats
    4.11 gears front and back, with Eaton rear posi
    Flowmaster 40series true duals
    16X8 American Racing Nitros with 305/70/16 Goodyear MTR's
    285's in the pic

If it ain't broke...........Give me a minute!

Im not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska1500 View Post
    wel thats the thing, if i keep the 5.3 and went with the bolt ons, wouldnt it be cheaper instead of going with a 6.0? Or how much would it cost to install it?
    Well you could spend all that money and see 30-40 horsepower with the bolt ons or you could put that towards a 6.0 engine swap and start out with about the same amount of HP. Then add your headers and everything and be pushing like high 300hp Or low 400's. The 6.0 would Be a much better Starting point. And then after you get your 6.0 and your bolt ons call up black bear or a similar company that does custom EFI live tunes. You'll see way better results with that then you would with the diablo. If you get into a Black Bear meet you can get a tune for $250. Justin at black bear will Hook up a computer to your truck and will ride with you. He tunes the truck to your driving. You can do a custom tune with a diablo, but it isn't going to be as good as a black bear or something similar. To get into a meet you need 10 people
    You should be able to check some other truck websites for scheduling a meet. I've
    Been researching black Bear for about a year or so and have never seen someone give a bad review about the company. Everyone is always extremely satisfied. And when you start getting up into the higher cams you should upgrade some transmission parts. Check car-parts.com for a 6.0 or craigslist. The escalades, denali's and 1500HD trucks have 6.0's. Also A lot of the 2500HD's have 6.0's. Sorry if I have any spelling errors or
    Anything in this post. I'm
    On my phone lol.
    Last edited by ZSI52; 08-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hundojoe View Post
    Well a good aftermarket cam will run at least $400 dollars not installed, and a decent set of heads will be $1500-2000 not installed, and there is quit a bit of tear down to install these parts. So maybe start with the things that you can do your self, such as a handheld tuner and a bolt on intake, and as your experience grows dive in a little deeper into motor mods, Just remember horsepower costs ALOT of money and labor cost almost as much. Good luck.
    alright, maybe ill go with the other bolt ons, then see when there's gonna be a black bear meet in my area or something after i get the full exhuast/ intake system up and going.

Please remember that you will need to have all of your mods done before you get that custom tune performed or you will have to keep getting a custom tune every time you put on another mod. For example; if you only have a cold air intake and exhaust at the time of your tune, and four months later you get some headers, a cam, bigger injectors, your truck won't run properly because it will be set-up for factory in those areas, meaning you would have to get another custom tune. With the Diablo you can do that yourself and I believe Diablew charges $100 to fine tune your DSP and you get free tuning after that.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    Please remember that you will need to have all of your mods done before you get that custom tune performed or you will have to keep getting a custom tune every time you put on another mod. For example; if you only have a cold air intake and exhaust at the time of your tune, and four months later you get some headers, a cam, bigger injectors, your truck won't run properly because it will be set-up for factory in those areas, meaning you would have to get another custom tune. With the Diablo you can do that yourself and I believe Diablew charges $100 to fine tune your DSP and you get free tuning after that.
    Yes. Be sure to get at least most of your upgrades done before getting a custom tune. Retunes are free for as long as you own the vehicle.

ahh alright. well i had some family come over tonight and they were commenting on how i need new tires, but the good thing is my spare is brand new (still has the blue line) so i'm just gonna put that + one new tire on the back and rotate the other ones. so that will be the first "upgrade" or purchase for the truck.