GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Fuel Tank Fun

Default Fuel Tank Fun

I couldn't find the thread that I was previously conversing with TraiLeadr in about fuel tank problems, so I'll just start a new one dedicated to me, instead of threadjacking. So...
    On the opinion of my 2 uncles, they think that the fuel gauge sending unit is bad. My fuel gauge when the tank is full, pegs way past full, and is at the end of its travel. I have not run the tank to empty yet, so I'm not 100% sure where full is, but I'm guessing from how much I have to put in the tank at various level readings of the gauge, that the gauge is right at 1/4 of a tank off from what it really is supposed to be. The needle does not vibrate on me like other people have had, which would indicate a bad ground.
    I called up the local AutoZone and Advance Auto to get pricing on a new fuel pump and sender, but I ran into another huge problem, they don't have any listings for a 37 gallon tank. I still have the original window sticker from the truck that clearly states it has a 37 gallon tank. All the 2 stores have listed is a 31 and a 40 gallon tank. I'm guessing that the 40 they have listed would probably be the same parts as the 37, but I don't want to take that risk. Any ideas on this situation? I'm getting tired of being scared of the fact that I don't know where empty is.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

If you are not having any trouble other than the gauge I would not touch it.

My 94 does the same thing, goes way over full. It goes all the way down to empty to, you have to remember this is a tank, (in more ways than one).

But getting back to the fuel tank, the gauge is on a pivot. It cannot be perfect, as a matter of fact I have never owned a car or truck that the gauge did not go over full when I filled it. As long as it goes to empty and you fill it goes to full then I would not worry about it.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

On my previous Suburban (96 K2500) I was curious why the gauge went over the full mark when I filled the tank and took about 40 miles to come off full. I asked techs at the dealership about this and they told me I had the larger tank and it was normal, but never told me what size the tank was.
    My wife has a bad habit of running our cars out of fuel, so I figured one day I'd find out where the gauge landed when the truck was empty. Sure enough she ran it out and told me she knew she was low on fuel because it was on empty for 20 miles before it died. So I know the gauge was accurate on the bottom end of the scale.
    Now I gotta figure out how to get the wife to pay attention to the gauge.

Default Good luck!

With the Gauge/Wife thing Brother!

Jr. Apprentice
    Summer/Fall: the Yukon. Winter/Spring: San Diego.

The owner's manual in my Jeep let me know that when the low fuel msg was displayed, there were 3 gallons still in the tank. Good info to have, I wish my 'Burb's manual had it. My 2001 has the main tank plus a smaller auxillary tank, both with pumps and sending units (and both expensive to replace).