GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Stereo comes on after key is off

My wife drives the 99 suburban as her daily driver. The last couple days when she's got in the car after it was parked for a while she found the stereo on (freaked her out the first time).
    I'm not very experienced in the electrical troubleshooting department. Outside of an exorcism, any ideas on what I should check?
    Thanks!
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform |95 BMW 325is coupe- Wheeee!
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

yikes... that's no bueno. I wonder if that's a switch thing...
    I had a '90 Isuzu Trooper that had the ignition cylinder wear out. The truck would start with anything that would turn the slot, penny, paper clip etc. The keys would also come out whenever you turned left.
    So I wonder if the key is not getting turned off all the way and it's falling back into ACC mode instead of OFF? It sounds like a simple thing to check on before tearing all the wires apart looking for a short.
    2007 Silverado 1500 NNBS - Work truck and daily driver
    2002 Malibu - The wife's car, for now. I smell a Suburban in my future
    1976 Stingray - NOW OVER 100,000 MILES!

Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainBiker55 View Post
    yikes... that's no bueno. I wonder if that's a switch thing...
    I had a '90 Isuzu Trooper that had the ignition cylinder wear out. The truck would start with anything that would turn the slot, penny, paper clip etc. The keys would also come out whenever you turned left.
    So I wonder if the key is not getting turned off all the way and it's falling back into ACC mode instead of OFF? It sounds like a simple thing to check on before tearing all the wires apart looking for a short.
    91.4% sure it's not the ignition. Wheel locks, ignition is not loose/won't turn without key. The stereo was not playing when she got out of the car but was on when she got back in. Didn't happen yesterday so maybe it was just a weird one-time thing. (crossing fingers).

Didn't think it was likely either, but I remember those keys being without a chip. I would love to know if anything else came on in addition to the radio if it happens again. Is the radio stock?
    Maybe it's a good idea to have a jumper cable handy if it happens and the battery dies...

Have a little update:
    Was replacing the driver's exterior door handle and lock actuator yesterday and while I was unplugging and plugging in all the harnesses I heard the radio come on without the key in.

I was able to determine that the stereo gets power when the window lock mode rocker switch is in the "normal" mode. When it is switched to "lock" the power gets cut off.

It doesn't give the vehicle accessory power (i.e. the windows won't roll down). Strange. Not sure it's worth spending money to have diagnosed, just need to make sure the stereo is turned off when exiting the vehicle.

that's.... odd. Probably what my solution would be too