GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Looking into Solid axle swap for next summer, just kind of confused

So I have been interested in doing a Solid axle swap for my 2000 chevy Silverado 2500 but I looked everywhere i found a good site (Off Road Direct) that has a good swap kit for about $650 and They have kits for 2000-2007 HD 4x4 or 2001-2007 1500 4x4 and im just kinda confused because my truck really isnt an HD model because GM never came out with the HD model till 01 but my truck has all the Heavy Duty stuff like trans cooler tow package and all that so id guess its going to be the 2000-07 HD? Just not sure thanks for the help

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4

6.0L v8:great: 4L80E

2.5 in Daystar leveling keys

285/75/16s BFG ATs on HD wheels

Cab lights and tool box

pretty much every remotely modern vehicle with an automatic has a transmission cooler of some sort.. And I may be slightly off but normally the "tow package" just means it came with the wiring outlet and with a receiver hitch rather than just the bumper pull.. The only difference I can think of between the 2500 and the 2500HD would be the suspension, beyond that idk what to tell ya lol

What front axle are you gonna use?
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-01-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    03 1500 Z71 5.3 - DD/Tow rig

Jr. Mechanic

You should use a 80s Ford High pinion king pin Dana 60.

07 NBS Crew cab SLT 4x4

yes thats exactly what i was planning on using farmerdave my first plan is to scout for one lol so and offroadaddict do you think that i could use the kit then if the frame is the same anyways and im pretty much just redoing the front suspension anyways it would work out? i think ill see if i know anyone with an HD and compare frames first but i mean id figure they are the same thing pretty much with the 8bolt hubs and everything

Sr. Mechanic

offroad unlimted has a kit with the axle that should work

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

well first, how much fab experience do you have? second, what all does the "kit" come with? some brackets?

Check out http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ or http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php blue torch fab sells good stuff too but its more expensive.

they both sell BEEFY brackets for leaf springs/link mount brackets, shock towers, shock/coil-over mounts.. Its not too hard to setup an axle under a truck. I put a D44 under my old ranger and the hardest part was probably setting up the steering gear box, which 4wd Chevys already have..

My biggest advice is just read, read, read then measure everything 20 times, make sure its centered etc... Check out pirate4x4.com for a **** ton of tech.
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-03-2010 at 01:59 AM.

We used Off-Road Unlimited kits because they were cheaper for us to buy than making them and they work and fit. It's been a few years since I've been around the aftermarket industry so there may be other good kits out there. I just know the guys in the shop like the ORU kits.

yeah the thing was off road direct was pretty much the same thing as off road unlimited except it didnt have shocks and was cheaper by half and i can weld and cut steel and all that im pretty good at fab, but would rather buy the off road direct kit and an axle some springs and just have to mess with steering though i just wasnt sure if it would fit cuz off road unlimited also has kits but for 2500 and 3500 HD and thats what im guessing id have to get from them either way

I heard the guys on pirate4x4.com know a lot about this swap.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

ill look into that thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by