GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Default My 454 is hard to start (carb)

1983 1 ton 454 carb, auto, 2wd, dually. After sitting overnight, you have to pump the pedal a whole lot to get it to start. I'm relative sure the carb could stand a rebuild kit, but i'm also wondering if the fuel pump could be alowing fuel to drain back from the carb? Or is it possible the check valve in the carb is allowing the fuel to leak back? After getting it started and warmed up, you can shut it off for an hour or more and it will start right back up. But if you wait too long, it will be hard to start again. Not a vapor lock type of problem, more like there is no gas in the carb to send down to the cyls to burn. Ideas??
    Mike
    Mike-Denver but moving to Kansas
    1997 GMC 1/2 ton-stock 172,000miles
    1983 1 ton Dually Project 454/auto 2wd

Well id start the the carb rebuild. More then likely the problem is the floats for the fuel level in the bowls are shot. thats why id start with the rebuild, then after the rebuild get the motor running and set the fuel level to the proper height, you want fuel to just start to trickle out the sight hole, then if you still have hard start problems then go after fuel pump. Just the way id go about it. Good luck.
    1999 Silverado Regular Cab Short Box
    Black on Black, Line-X sprayed in bed liner
    5.3 with K&N CAI, Texas Speed 220/220 cam with 112 deg LSA
    Texas Speed computer Tune
    American Racing Headers with Cats
    4.11 gears front and back, with Eaton rear posi
    Flowmaster 40series true duals
    16X8 American Racing Nitros with 305/70/16 Goodyear MTR's
    285's in the pic

If it ain't broke...........Give me a minute!

Im not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example...

What carburetor do you have? Is it a quadrajet? Do you have an electric choke? What you're describing sounds like a problem with the choke assembly. When your motor is cold the choke should be partially to fully closed, (depending on ambient temperature). You're having to pump the throttle because the choke is allowing too much air in. Unless you have a lot of practice with quadrajets, their a real pain in the ass. Don't try to save by buying the cheaper rebuild kit. A good quality kit is more expensive but should have step by step instructions. I've never tackled a quadrajet without these instructions.
    Of course another option is a Holley. Much easier (and faster) rebuild.

2003 GMC 2500HD 496 (8.1L) Allison Trans. 305K

1995 GMC 1500HD Suburban 6.5L Diesel 145K

1982 Toyota 4W/D Powered by GMPP 350 Crate with MSD ignition, Holley carb, Pro Comp electric fuel pump, Be Cool aluminum radiator; TH350 transmission w/ B&M Quicksilver; Marlin Crawler transfer case w/ Front Range Twinstick; telescopic driveshafts; auto lockers; 9" Skyjacker suspension lift w/ Bilstein shocks all sitting on 37" Super Swampers.

Quadra-jets have always been bad from the factory over time by leaking fuel out where the factory pressed in plugs at the underside of the fuel bowl. Requires a rebuild, drill/pry (depending on carb) out old plugs epoxy in new ones. Unless it's bothering you that much it will stay the same forever. My '79 Quadra-jetted 454 was the same way. I didn't drive it that much so I just lived with it. Has nothing to do with the 454, all q-Jet.