GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Competent Tire Shop???

Any body have a reputable tire shot in the Sacramento region, or even a chain (Les Schwab?) that doesnt have complete morons working for them?

I got new tires and rims, and brought them in to get balanced, I informed them that the rims were not hub centric, they are lug centric, and that they would need to be balanced off the lugs. Well I get the rims back and one of them has a ton of stick on weights, and there was so much that there was weights stuck on top of weights on top of more weights... The tech said that these huge offroading tires never balance correctly. (no, they arent huge offroading tires, they are 285/75-16 Yokohama Geolander A/t's)

Anyways, he tried balancing off the whole on the center of the rim, which is why I am guessing things didnt go well since the rims arent hub centric, as I had specifically noted.... Any advice?
    -Jimmy

-06' Silverado 1500 Z-71 (5.3l, 4L65e, NP261 transfer, B&M +3 tranny pan, Moser T6 diff cover, Bank CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, leveling kit, LineX bed, Pioneer Premier DEH-P780MP, Firestone RideRite airbags, KMC Enduro 16x8 rims, Yokohama Geolander A/T 285/75R16, Taylor 10.4mm wires)

Sr. Engineer

Hub centric or lug centric has no effect on balancing. Either its balanced or its not. If its not shaking when you're going down the road, then its balanced. If its got that much weight on it, it may just be a case of the heaviest spot on your tire is pretty close to the heaviest spot on the wheel. You could try and get them to break the bead, rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel and then re-balance it.