GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default bigger tires - will it void warranty ?

I have a friend that owns a Ford (I tried to talk him out of it lol) - anyway - He has upgraded to larger wheels and tires, yet keeps his stock rims and tires around and switches them out anytime he takes it to the dealer regarding any warranty type issue ( that has happened several times for trans issues ). He told me he has to because the 22" rims with low pro tires would void his warranty. Personally I dont' see how it could cause additional damage or wear. Anyone know Chevy's stance on this issue ? I plan on upgrading to larger tires in the next month, but I was going to use stock rims. Do I need to keep the stock rim/tires around ? If I upgrad to the slightly larger 33" tires is it going to cause me grief ?
    I don't see it doing any damage to my truck, but would like to know Chevy's stance on it.
    I know some local dealers sell my same truck off their lots brand new with aftermarket rims, tires, and lift kits - what about this ?

I think its up to the dealer service department. Some are good guys, some are di*ks. I'd keep the factory wheels and tires around just in case.

Its always a good idea if easy enough to put as much of the factory items back on the truck before taking it to service. I've seen some real horror stories of Service Writers who are real d1cks! Blaming any aftermarket part on something that went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cain73 View Post
    I have a friend that owns a Ford (I tried to talk him out of it lol) - anyway - He has upgraded to larger wheels and tires, yet keeps his stock rims and tires around and switches them out anytime he takes it to the dealer regarding any warranty type issue ( that has happened several times for trans issues ). He told me he has to because the 22" rims with low pro tires would void his warranty. Personally I dont' see how it could cause additional damage or wear. Anyone know Chevy's stance on this issue ? I plan on upgrading to larger tires in the next month, but I was going to use stock rims. Do I need to keep the stock rim/tires around ? If I upgrad to the slightly larger 33" tires is it going to cause me grief ?
    I don't see it doing any damage to my truck, but would like to know Chevy's stance on it.
    I know some local dealers sell my same truck off their lots brand new with aftermarket rims, tires, and lift kits - what about this ?
    Search "Magnusen Moss Warranty act" on this site.
    Tire size will not void warranty as a whole, it can make certain warranty items not coverable if its proven that the tire was the cause of a part failure, very hard to do with tire size though. When you run into dealerships like this the best defense is to be knowledgeable on Magnusen Moss and make them aware of this knowledge, dont be afraid to speak very loudly about it while insisting they bring some management out to have a discussion with you.

bigger tires - void warranty ?
    As has been stated already, changing tire size may or it may not void your warranty. But that's not the only consideration. IMO. Various states have safety inspection criteria, upon which you may enter an "unsafe" condition (i.e., bumper height, tires rubbing body, whatever). For example, here are the state safety inspection criteria for my state VIRGINIA (scroll down to the "bumper height" section).

And that said; if modifying your vehicle to something beyond "safety/handling limits" ... it may also void your insurance coverage (if/when there's an accident, and the insurance adjuster determines that some "modification" contributed thereto, then your insurance company might say your coverage is not valid for said modified vehicle). IOW: the insurance company uses your VIN and equipage as the vehicle came from the manufacturer, to determine their level of RISK (and thus what your premiums should/will be). If you've modified the vehicle, without notifying your insurance company (getting their "ok in writing" for said modification), then they are NOT insuring the vehicle as it was presented to them (for underwriting/risk analysis). And I think most everyone is aware that insurance companies will do most anything, to reduce and/or deny PAYMENT on their policies.

...just my 2cents

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cain73 View Post
    I have a friend that owns a Ford (I tried to talk him out of it lol) - anyway - He has upgraded to larger wheels and tires, yet keeps his stock rims and tires around and switches them out anytime he takes it to the dealer regarding any warranty type issue ( that has happened several times for trans issues ). He told me he has to because the 22" rims with low pro tires would void his warranty.
    couldnt the rims/tires have a negative effect on the transmission?
    more rolling resistance, weight, size etc
    ive heard of some dealers denying warranty repairs because they see tire residue on the fenders or undercarriage and think its evidence of doing burnouts etc

I have to believe the dealership will try and stick it to you any way they can. This has been my experience so far with the 2 gmc dealerships I have had to go to with my new 2010.