GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default RearView Mirror Upgrade....

So I had considered changing out my rearview mirror for one with the temp and compass....I know some people have that info in their DIC....I do not so I am guessing I do not have the sensor for the temp etc...

The dealer tells me that I need a module that is part of my ECM in order to get the the temp and compass and its a $400 part...plus the cost of a mirror....

can anyone verify this or can I simply get a mirror and add the temp sensor?

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I THINK Murth makes a mirror with the temp and compass. I know they make some GM original mirror parts.

Based on the fact that you were looking into upgrading your gauge cluster because you only had the 4 gauge one, I will assume here that you don't have the driver information center with the buttons to the left of your gauges. If not, the way to get comp and temp may just be to upgrade to the DIC. If you got the info about the module from the mirror from the same dealer that said you would need extra sensors to upgrade your gauges, they are probably not very reliable. If you don't have the DIC buttons, I believe it only costs about $75 to $80 for the buttons with the new trim piece, takes 5 mins to install, and your truck is pre-wired for it. Here is a thread about installing the DIC buttons.

If you have already upgraded, then I find it strange that the provisions would be there for all the other features, but not compass and temperature. I can't offer a lot of advise about adding a temp./compass mirror though, since my mirror upgrade was a totally different situation and different mirror. (non-electric mirror to Homelink auto-dim mirror)

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    Based on the fact that you were looking into upgrading your gauge cluster because you only had the 4 gauge one, I will assume here that you don't have the driver information center with the buttons to the left of your gauges. If not, the way to get comp and temp may just be to upgrade to the DIC. If you got the info about the module from the mirror from the same dealer that said you would need extra sensors to upgrade your gauges, they are probably not very reliable. If you don't have the DIC buttons, I believe it only costs about $75 to $80 for the buttons with the new trim piece, takes 5 mins to install, and your truck is pre-wired for it. Here is a thread about installing the DIC buttons.

If you have already upgraded, then I find it strange that the provisions would be there for all the other features, but not compass and temperature. I can't offer a lot of advise about adding a temp./compass mirror though, since my mirror upgrade was a totally different situation and different mirror. (non-electric mirror to Homelink auto-dim mirror)

I did install the DIC buttons about a month ago - that was well worth the money! I may try and see if I can get one out of a wrecked truck and see what works and what doesnt.

I just ordered 8000K HID lights for the fogs and low beams so my "extra" money for toys needs a boost this next payday.....it will give me time to hunt for a mirror!

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Now that I pay enough attention, I realize that the compass and temperature was in the mirror from the factory on the new trucks, where I thought it was in the DIC like most newer GM vehicles.

I did just find a thread about this on a different website. Hope this helps. Good luck, and post up some pictures when it is done.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck