GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Apprentice

Unhappy Hydro-boost problem?

Approaching a stop sign after a bit of freeway driving and I lose my power steering and my brakes. I have to pump hard a few times to get them back. I'm guessing my hydro-boost is shot. '99 K2500 454. Best plan of action? I don't do much of my own work on cars. New hydro-boost? Can they be rebuilt? What can I expect to pay? Thanks. This has only happened a couple of times in about 1000 miles of driving, but it's a bit unnerving with an 8000# trailer behind.
    1999 GMC K2500/454 CID which is used primarily to pull an 8000# travel trailer about 10K miles/year. 4WD w/eletronic transfer case.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    but it's a bit unnerving with an 8000# trailer behind.
    Understandably.

I'm thinking you're better off to just replace the booster.
    Do you have any problems with the steering? Just wondering since the booster is fed by the steering pump.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

This is why GM stopped doing this hydro-boost. I've experienced this first hand with my 99 Savanna/Trailer. I had to have pump replaced, lines and flush done. Expensive but worth it. Don't put your family in peril, get it looked at right away. BEFORE you get hurt!

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Ya i would say replace the pump first if it is affecting the power steering to.

Also could be dirt in the fluid, when you replace pump flush the lines.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Sr. Apprentice

No problems with steering under normal conditions. Is the pump separate from the booster and will both have to be replaced? Thanks for the help.

Legend

The pump is separate.
    I can't believe that I missed the part about losing your steering also.
    I would say check your fluid levels. You have a cooler for the steering fluid. I wonder if your fluid is dirty, or your cooler is clogged up.
    I would say dump the existing fluid, and flush the system really well, before you change any parts.

Does your power steering fluid have an odd color? I have not experienced the "failure" that you have yet but the color of my fluid is a kinda yellowy mustard color and seems to be foamy most of the time. The other issue I have is if you are stopped and trying to turn the steering wheel it will only go like a 1/4 of a turn without having to really muscle it. Also makes a noise like fluid being forced through a line that you here while steering but as soon as you touch the brake pedal its stops. I am kind of thinking the accumulator inside the hydroboost is failing which is giving me all the grief. Just wanted to see if you had any of the same symptoms.

thanks

Sr. Apprentice

Question Symptoms

Thought I had this thing whipped when we discovered a faulty wheel bearing sensor assembly in the right front. Replaced same and thought problem to be gone, but on a recent 700 mile trip, the original symptoms revisited 3 times, all three when coming off freeway speeds and slowing for offramp. Brakes fail and power steering fails for just a moment. Pumping rapidly seems to get them back. I nearly missed one offramp this way. Luckily I was not pulling the trailer on these occasions. That's it for me, though. Travel season is upcoming and I've a lot of mountains to cross. Tomorrow am going to tear the whole thing down and hopefully solve this problem. My fluid is dark and haven't noticed "foaming", nor any of ragtp66 symptoms. Will keep you posted. In searching for a solution to this problem am finding several other little problems. I guess you could call this an upside...until I run out of $$$.

Sr. Apprentice

Default Update

Safety of my family being foremost of considerations...I now have replaced booster unit, power steering pump and master cylinder. Off to pick up my trailer tomorrow and drag it over a few Utah mountains. Will let you know if the problem is gone. If it is, I still will not know exactly where the problem was. Exasperating!!! Fluid was a little heavy and a LOT of sludge in the MC, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    Safety of my family being foremost of considerations...I now have replaced booster unit, power steering pump and master cylinder. Off to pick up my trailer tomorrow and drag it over a few Utah mountains. Will let you know if the problem is gone. If it is, I still will not know exactly where the problem was. Exasperating!!! Fluid was a little heavy and a LOT of sludge in the MC, so we'll see.
    Hard bugger to chase down. Losing steering and braking power can be very dangerous, obviously...be safe.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by