GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default get more HP from a Vortec 350 engine!

Hey i wounder what to do to get more HP for my engine! and is there any program that you can use to inncreace HP or tourqe? and is there any make you guys will reomend for my engine?

Regards Richard!

sorry for my bad english! hope u understand what i mean!

lots of work and money, would be stroke it to a 383..with good parts, 400HP and 450+ tourqe !!!!
    cheap..not much , but feelable...headers,air intake ECM mods, chip and a good exhaust , also some mods to the throttle body !!!

Midrange, PROCHARGER !!!!!! ( but i dont like them )

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Do the main four: cold air intake, long tube headers, cat-back or true dual exhaust, and programmer/custom tune. Also, find out what you have for gear ratio. If you have 3.73s and bigger tires you are only hurting yourself. Go with 4.10s or 4.56s depending on your tire size, that will help make your truck really move with the additional bolt-on mods.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

CompCams has some nice cams for the Vortec motors.

SIDE NOTE.... a friend of mine came to my house 1 day and said..hey scotty i will get my truck to make huge power !!! I said how ? ..... he said look i am gona order all this.

so i looked at what he showed me..lol, cam +30 HP, intake + 15 HP, exhaust + 50 HP, chip + 120 HP, and on and on...i laughed and said realy ?! HE SAID YEAH MAN .....if u ad all that up , it will make over 650 HP in the 350 !!!!!

So if u all believe what he did, PLEASE, PLEASE ask some body that done this ..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

( the HP / Tourqe # given by part manufactures are in the best case senario and only if the engine is build for exact that part they sell )

So don't even start to mess with the inside of your engine , unless u 100% know what u are doing and how everything works TOGETHER !!!!!!! THATS THE KEY !

Jr. Apprentice

Well just from what I've learned in my experience the performance route is a timely and costly process but a fun one as well. When I got my truck stock and slowly did some upgrades I loved that I could feel increase each time something was done. I got my truck at 110k miles so I did full tune up from belts, performace plugs and wires, oil change and doing those things made a huge difference. From there I did short ram intake which was fun then I did single exhaust cause where I was living I couldnt have too loud of exhaust so I dont have the best exhaust performance wise but I did again feel a little more go. I just recently removed my fan clutch and installed 2 electric cooling fans and I will say on highway I've noticed a little better drive and an extra couple miles on my mpg. I dont know much and have been learning as I go but it's been a fun process and I will continue to do more little mods like tuner and headers and cams. Decide the route youd like to go with your truck and go from there.

If u want to get ultimate power in your truck...i think pay once and get it right !!!!!

This is a cool deal........http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...ts_Accessories

+15HP from an intake is funny and even the DSP doesn't give you +120HP, let alone a chip. Hope your friend had deep pockets, stupidity comes at a price.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    SIDE NOTE.... a friend of mine came to my house 1 day and said..hey scotty i will get my truck to make huge power !!! I said how ? ..... he said look i am gona order all this.

so i looked at what he showed me..lol, cam +30 HP, intake + 15 HP, exhaust + 50 HP, chip + 120 HP, and on and on...i laughed and said realy ?! HE SAID YEAH MAN .....if u ad all that up , it will make over 650 HP in the 350 !!!!!

So if u all believe what he did, PLEASE, PLEASE ask some body that done this ..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

( the HP / Tourqe # given by part manufactures are in the best case senario and only if the engine is build for exact that part they sell )

So don't even start to mess with the inside of your engine , unless u 100% know what u are doing and how everything works TOGETHER !!!!!!! THATS THE KEY !
    i am a car machanics so i do know what am doing :D and beside i have som friends that can help me out if im getting stuck! but i think i will start to instal a newer ECM if it is on the marked otherwise i will reprogram it :P but i will start and the engine when i have enough money! car stuff is really expensicve in norway! like BIG TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    +15HP from an intake is funny and even the DSP doesn't give you +120HP, let alone a chip. Hope your friend had deep pockets, stupidity comes at a price.
    After i told him the same....he ended up selling what he ordered and got a diffrent car..LOL

i mean that was like 6-8 years ago.....i still lived in germany at that time !!