GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I'm back with a new rig.

I joined this site about 3 years ago and have been away. I owned an 02 Trailblazer but had to sell it to buy a house. I just bought an 84 chevy 1/2 ton from a coworker. She is the second owner and got it from her dad about a year and a half ago when he died. It has been sitting a lot and it fouls a plug when driven. I went over to fire it up today and found out her drunk brother messed with the fuel tank switch and that one of the tanks is messed up. It sounds like the pick up tube is clogged and he disabled the switch so no one will use the other tank. Anyway, I dumped some gas in the carb and it fired up but smelled like bad gas from the exhaust. Between that and the hornets that have made the truck home it got interesting. It had a little backfire and the gas that spilled caught on fire but I got it out before anything burned up. I'll have to tow it home so I can get to work on it. I'm going to pull both tanks and clean them out, make sure the fuel pump is working, clean out the carb and change all the fluids. It has the 305in it so that will go next spring for a 350. The body is good and the front end has been rebuilt a couple of years ago. It should be a good truck.
    84 Chevy 1/2 ton Rathdrum ID

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, and sounds like an interesting project.. ya gotta put up before pics so we can see what it starts out as, and see the progress since most of us on here love those old rigs!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Welcome back. Good luck with the new truck. Any thoughts to naming it burning hornet?
    Last edited by Als09Sierra; 08-15-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Welcome back. Good luck with the new truck. Any thoughts to naming it burning hornet?
    That would be funny! I forgot my camera but I'll get back over there soon and post some pics. It has weeds growing up around it and looks pretty rough. The old lady is not impressed but are they ever? It least I got it to run so I know it can be fixed.
    84 Chevy 1/2 ton Rathdrum ID

Welcome back, enjoy your new project.

Quote Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
    That would be funny! I forgot my camera but I'll get back over there soon and post some pics. It has weeds growing up around it and looks pretty rough. The old lady is not impressed but are they ever? It least I got it to run so I know it can be fixed.
    You could put one of those mufflers that the wanna-be tuners put on their hondas. Buzz buzz. No, that would just be wrong, sorry. Better idea, put the drag pipes coming out behind the front tires, open them up and let the flames fly. That'll impress the misses.

Jr. Engineer

welcome back

check all the vacuum hoses after getting good gas in the tank(s)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome back! Glad to have you here!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Welcome back!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"