GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torsion bars

Default Torsion bars

I know this question has been asked a thousand times but how many turns will be safe to try to level out my 2003 1500 z71? Thanks

I wouldnt be afraid to crank it all the way in until the bolt bottoms out. If you were to buy an aftermarket "leveling" kit with new torsion bar keys they are "clocked" different than the stock ones to add even more twist to the torsion bar then a maxed out adjustment bolt. Just keep in ind the ride will get alittle rougher.....

Every truck is differant. Before you start take a measurment from the front wheel center hub to the top of the fender on both sides. Make a note of these measurments incase you don't like the ride after you make adjustments you can return to stock settings. On most trucks 1 complete turn of the adjuster bolt is good for 1/4" in lift. Its best to have the trucks front end lifted off the ground when making adjustments.Its a pain in the as* to keep lifting the front off the ground, but thats the best way to do it.After each adjustment drive the truck a few miles to let the front settle in and make adjustments as needed.

Thanks, I've heard some horror stories about tightening the bolts to much and that it can cause problems. Is it common for things to break after you raise it up?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Not incredibly.. If you put on larger tires you might experience faster wear of the ball joints and parts like that. Oh and you will most likely want an alighnment Just to keep everything in check.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Well I was planning to throw on some 285 70 17's because the 245s arent cuttin the mustard.

Legend
    Blog Entries

with that size of tire you should be alright just be sure to keep an eye on the ball joints etc..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I just bought my 03 2500HD a couple of weeks ago and it's torsion bars were maxed out. I loosened them 2.5 turns to soften the ride and it rides a lot better and the truck still looks great.

I also had played with the torsion bars on my 04 Z71 to lift the front when I added the 285/75/16s and had no problems. Silveradotrailblazer made an excellent point. Make sure you record the measurements before you make any adjustments. I didn't do that when I adjusted my Z71 and it took me longer to get it exactly how I wanted it (I kept changing my mind on how high I wanted the front, lol).

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, Crew Cab
    6.6L Duramax Diesel (LB7) with an automatic Allison 1000 5 speed.
    Spray-in bed liner, S&B Air Filter, Homemade CAI ram scoop, ball hitch for Gooseneck
    Black toolbox, metallic-black bowtie, 5.5" NV-200C Bumper Off-Road lights behind a blacked-out grille
    285/75R16E BFG A/Ts
    Future Upgrades: Exhaust, CAI, programmer, intercooler, torque converter

Well I blew all my money on textbooks for school so I bought some used 265's for 140. I turned the bolts seven times and this is what she looks like now. http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s654/Truck.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truck.jpg  
    Last edited by Jackson636; 08-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Truck looks good. Hows the ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast