GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2005 Silverado Speedometer problems!!!

Ok so I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Z71 and the speedometer and odometer quit on me, but no check engine light. So searched the internet, bought a new stepper motor replaced it and still didnt work however engine light came on before I put this in but after I ordered the part so I thought I would try it out anyways. Next my mechanic wiped out the code and said it was the speed sensor, so I went to my local Napa and got a speed sensor, however there is 3 of them mounted on my transfer case, tried new sensor in all 3 but speedometer did not work, have not tried more then 1 new sensor yet...please need help!!!!

I'm looking for info on this too, I phoned the Westgate Chevy Farm service dept in Edmonton Ab and they told me it was 99% that its the instrument cluster since there's no service light on. A new one is between $450 and $500 and $130 install and program. Does anyone here know if it's possible to find a used one and do it yourself? They told me there's a number on the back of the cluster they need to get to match it and order it in before replacing. I've been using my GPS for a speedo for a month now and I'm not sure I see any point in putting $630 into the old girl an 04 2500 quad cab 6 ltr short box 4x4 with 225000 since my odometer isn't working either I can throw another 75000-100000 on it then replace it and sell it as lower mileage, is that a bad way of thinking? Seriously though, I want a cheaper fix so everything is working correctly. Can anyone give us help?
    1st reply / post
    Tom
    Last edited by Vman; 08-19-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to both of you. There's a company advertising on the site for reworking your gauge cluster.I THINK it's ddinstruments.com