GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Strobes in the HL lense?

    I just ordered the 90w Whelen hide-away kit, I cant decide if I want to put the front ones in the high beam lenses or the corner lenses.. The rear strobes will be going in the reverse lenses to keep this as legal as possible..

    Soo If I go and drill the 1" hole in the high beam lens will it mess with the beam at all? Not that I really use my high beams much with my HIDS but it would be nice to know..

    I will only be using them off-highway and if I happen to stop and help someone change a tire etc.. I don't think a cop will hassle me for my strobes if I'm on the side of a highway helping some old lady change a tire ;)
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    03 1500 Z71 5.3 - DD/Tow rig

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadaddict View Post
    I will only be using them off-highway and if I happen to stop and help someone change a tire etc.. I don't think a cop will hassle me for my strobes if I'm on the side of a highway helping some old lady change a tire ;)
    Haha... In various law enforcement circles, APD is notorious for being quite remarkably unforgiving. So, I'll wish you luck and hope that you'll be ok (I would imagine that it would not be a problem, however).

    To answer your question, though, I (personally) would install them in the high beam lens since they are used the least of the two. In case there is some obstruction, at least it won't be too big of a deal this way. And although I, myself, have never seen any type of hideaways installed in an 03 model silverado, most strobes that I have seen professionally installed were done from the bottom up. In other words, unlike the actual high beam bulb, the strobe would be pointing upwards. If that makes sense...

    Now, before you take my post and run with it, please understand that I am by no means a go-to guy for this sort of thing. This is just my 0.002. There are several other users here who seem to have good experience with emergency lighting. If Springthing and/or TritonBoulder47 do not chime in on this thread, try sending them a message with your question.

  3. #3
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA (North East)
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadaddict View Post
    I just ordered the 90w Whelen hide-away kit, I cant decide if I want to put the front ones in the high beam lenses or the corner lenses.. The rear strobes will be going in the reverse lenses to keep this as legal as possible..

    Soo If I go and drill the 1" hole in the high beam lens will it mess with the beam at all? Not that I really use my high beams much with my HIDS but it would be nice to know..
    Either way you should be fine. And it shouldn't mess up you light output. The only thing I would worry about is the heat that the strobes give off... That might pre-maturely burn out your HID bulb...

    I will only be using them off-highway and if I happen to stop and help someone change a tire etc.. I don't think a cop will hassle me for my strobes if I'm on the side of a highway helping some old lady change a tire ;)
    And yes, a cop will hassle you. If your on the side of the road assisting someone, you're still technically on the roadway and you can get fined...

    Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

    2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

    Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

    Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

  4. #4

    Default

    Triton, how do you usually install your strobes as far as direction is concerned? I'm starting to wonder if one way is better than the next. Any insight on this?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    Haha... In various law enforcement circles, APD is notorious for being quite remarkably unforgiving. So, I'll wish you luck and hope that you'll be ok (I would imagine that it would not be a problem, however).
    I've had more than a few run ins with the APD and don't have a ticket yet(knock on wood) they've all been pretty easy going.. Its WilCo and the State Troopers I worry about. I'll ask a few LEO's when I get the chance.. I'm joining a VFD that doesn't allow POV lighting, but that doesn't mean I won't be moving somewhere else that will allow it. Not that it has any relevance in this situation. I guess I'm saying it would be a nice thing to have when I get out of Austin.


    Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    Either way you should be fine. And it shouldn't mess up you light output. The only thing I would worry about is the heat that the strobes give off... That might pre-maturely burn out your HID bulb...
    I only have HIDs in the low beams, do you think that would be an issue? I know they're kinda-sorta connected but the strobe will be a good distance from the HID bulb itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    And yes, a cop will hassle you. If your on the side of the road assisting someone, you're still technically on the roadway and you can get fined...
    Thanks for the heads up. I have only stopped a few times so who knows if I'll actually ever use it for that purpose.
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-26-2010 at 11:43 PM.

  6. #6
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA (North East)
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    Triton, how do you usually install your strobes as far as direction is concerned? I'm starting to wonder if one way is better than the next. Any insight on this?
    When it comes to actual strobes, it doesn't matter how they're oriented in the light housing. But if you're using LED Hide-A-Ways you want to "point" the LEDs into the reflector of the light housing to get the best effect...

    ---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadaddict View Post
    I only have HIDs in the low beams, do you think that would be an issue? I know they're kinda-sorta connected but the strobe will be a good distance from the HID bulb itself.
    If you only have HIDs in the low beams and you put the strobes in the high beam side, you should be fine...

  7. #7

    Default

    x2-The strobes will flash everywhere, so orientation isn't important, but I have mounted most in the bottom. Just find the flatest surface for the best seal.

    The strobe tube is also about 1" tall, and I don't know if it will fit in the reverse light housing without touching the other bulb.

    How about all four up front - 2 in the HB, and 2 in the fogs? Then order a couple of Whelen's Vertex amber LED's that will fit in the reverse light, no heat, and no trouble from the popo. When you get on a dept. that allows it, add 2 more clears to the tail lights, and you'll even be NFPA compliant!

    On another note, while looking up '03 Z71 tail lights on Google images to refresh my memory, Triton's Av showed up in the results - Sweeeet!

    Good luck offroadaddict,

    1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

  8. #8

    Default

    I have HIDs in the fogs, I was thinking about having 2 in the HB lenses, 2 in the the corner/turn signal lense and 2 in the back somewhere..

    I have a big ass Rawson and Koenig box, if I was able to run POV lighting I was gonna get some of these and putting them on the side, and maybe back of the box (if I didn't put something in the back window..)

    I have reverse lights below the bumper, maybe i'll just put the strobes in the reverse lense and no other bulbs
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-28-2010 at 01:35 AM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadaddict View Post
    I have reverse lights below the bumper, maybe i'll just put the strobes in the reverse lense and no other bulbs
    That would solve the space issue. The M7 looks like a pretty big lighthead. Do you have a tool box in the bed?

  10. #10

    Default

    wow yea, I just looked at the dimensions, that things huge! maybe something more like this, I'd like to put them on either side of the box.
    http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa/TIR3.html

    and here's my box.. big sumbitch
    Last edited by offroadaddict; 08-28-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Installing headlight strobes?
    By finalday7 in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 21
    Last: 06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
  2. Strobes???
    By Scooter in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last: 09-14-2010, 12:19 AM
  3. do DIY lense polishing kits actually work
    By kawasaki_kid in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last: 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
  4. Corner Lense????
    By philosofy1 in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last: 07-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •