GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Quad Headlight Set up Assistance

My vehicle is a 2007 GMC W/T that I'd like to set up for the low beams to stay on when the hight beams are switched on. I have done quite a bit of searching of the the forums without a great deal of success. What I'm hoping someone can do is supply me with a simple step-by-step process, using just a relay, to accomplish this.

you could just spice the high beam power wire to the low beams with a diode in the middle so that the low beam signal doesnt back feed to the highs. only problem there is finding diodes.....not too many places sell em anymore, out dated tech i suppose .
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Thanks for the info. What size diode?

you can get the diodes from radio shack. there was a thread on here detailing that procedure. i did it and it works great. Ill see if i can find it.

here it is
    http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...tdrlnstall.pdf
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

You can get a relay kit from places like LMCtruck.com I used one of their kits, $20, on my 95 with absolute success. It comes with very detailed instructions too. I'm not sure if they have one for your truck, but you can get a relay and use the same methods I believe.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

I do not advocate the diode trick because you put too much load on the wiring and can cause fires. The factory wiring is only made to carry just the load of one set of lights. Doubling the load with a second set of lights can cause dangerous overheating, which leads to fires. Use relays where the load is switched onto heavier-gauge wiring.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I do not advocate the diode trick because you put too much load on the wiring and can cause fires. The factory wiring is only made to carry just the load of one set of lights. Doubling the load with a second set of lights can cause dangerous overheating, which leads to fires. Use relays where the load is switched onto heavier-gauge wiring.
    That is why the diodes run between the trigger sides of the high beam and low beam relays... They don't run the full power through the diode...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Thanks for all the help! My lows now stay on when the brights are activated. What I found out is that for my year and body style of truck is to run a 1n4004 diode between the #85 pin of the high beam relay and the #85 pin of the low beam relay, keeping the white stripe on the diode towards the high beam relay. For those of you interested, the relays are located in the under hood fuse block compartment. I tried using a relay with the same set up, but kept blowing the left low beam fuse.
    Thanks again for the help!

Cool, I didn't realize that manufacturers stopped pulling the full power current through the headlight switch, though now that I think about it, it makes sense. Everything else is computerized now... Diodes on low-current trigger lines are absolutely fine. Cheers!
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage