GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 2001 Surban 2wd 1500 - Hum Only in gear

My apologies for the double post. I posted her first and then realized there was a better place. Moderator, please feel free to delete this post.

Thanks.

Greetings.

I will try to be as specific as I can an include all the info I can in the hopes someone has the magic answer.

1 Week ago.. no issues or strange sounds. All was well.

I pull a 4600lb trailer. I'd read that going with premium fuel while towing was a good idea so I switched to premium for the week. In the beginning there were no issues and I am not certain this has anything to do with anything but it was the change I'd made.

I pulled the Trailer to LA from Sacramento, about 400 miles. There was also the Grapvine (high climb) which I was worried about but the truck was fine. The temp never moved going up and over or coming back down.

Then when we're near the end of the trip I noticed a humming sound. In the beginning it was faint but now it's easier to hear.

Here's the info on the hum.

Stars around 40 and doesn't go away regardless of speed, gear or rpm.

If I have my foot on the gas, I get the hum. If I release my foot, It changes the hum for a second and then it goes away.

If I have the transmission in Park or Neutral, no hum.

So, it seems as though the hum is only when my foot is on the gas (or for less than 1 second after lifting) no matter how hard or light I press the gas the hum is the same.

I'm at a loss. I did a stall test (tranny in gear, foot on brake) and it sits solid at 1500 RPM with no slipping.

Any input or ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks

Scott
    Last edited by shadaway; 01-01-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Double Posted - Hoped to delete this post

Could be a loose exhaust shield. As far as the squeaky pedal goes, a quick squirt of WD-40 around where it pivots will usually do the trick. Don't get it on the pedal rubber
    =http://www.chinabuye.com/computer-accessories/netbook]android netbook[/| =http://www.mixmelot.com/laptop/tablet]Android tablet