GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to remove pinstriping

I am wanting to remove the pinstriping on my truck, it has recently started cracking and fading out. Does any one have any suggestions on the best way to remove this eye sore.

I just removed mine its not as bad as you would think just do it on a hot day and start pealing. I just used gasoline to remove the sticky glue left after pulling them of then was the truck and waxed it. You can go to a paint shop and get decal remover or goof off but this worked just fine. One side of the pin striping pulled of in long peaces the other side broke every foot or so.
    Hi my Name is Steve I have a 2004 Silverado Z71 Crew cab, silver berch in color and Live in Virginia Beach Va. I have installed JBA Stainless Steel Shorty Headers with Flowmaster 40, K&N 77 air intake, Taylor 409 Wires , Diablosport Predator Programer, Weston Bull Bar, Carage Works Grill, ReadyLift Leveling kit, Pioneer Navigation system, Viper two way Alarm with remote start, Rino hitch step, Factor 20 inch wheels with Nitto Graplers and that's it for now.
    :cool: Steve

I removed mine in the winter (like an idiot) but it went pretty smooth. I got some mineral spirits from the local auto parts store and it did the trick. I think it was somewhere around $6 and did not even use half. Put a little wax on afterwards and enjoy!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Blog Entries

3M makes an adhesive remover just for this. gasoline sounds sketchy. a hair dryer works nicely in the winter to heat up the adhesive, then use the cleaner to get off any residue.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

apperciate the input yall I'm gonna try it this weekend and I'll let yall know how it turns out

Default Remove pinstriping

I took my pin-striping off of my '10 Silverado crew cab. My stripes got "broken" all the way down the side of my truck by a high pressure car wash so they wouldn't peel. Tried the blow dryer and liquid adhesive and finger nails, it was horrible. Took me an hour to make it a few inches because they weren't solid lines. Went to the auto parts store and got the 3M adhesive decal and stripe remover. It's an eraser looking round disk and goes on the end of your drill. Did the whole truck in about 20 mins. Just used the drill at low speed and took it down the whole truck. It leaves a film and I used goof off and a rag, came right off. Went and washed it, done! I tried all the methods on all the forums, this is by far the easiest way to do it. The 3M eraser was 15-20 bucks. Well worth it. Truck looks 100 times better by the way.

I HATE pinstriping. The funny thing is the dealer puts that junk on there and charges a premium price for it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

i need to remove mine too... but theyre 20 years old, so its totally baked on.
    i dont want to use a razor blade and probably scratch the paint.... but i dont know what else to use as a good tool.
    a credit card is too flimsy and a thumb nail is miserable.
    ideas?
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I'm in JAX, on my 94 tape is cracked and would not peal. I have been dealing with mine with Goo Gone, patience and a clean razor blade and a cooler handy. Start in a shady spot, cause it's been hot here lately, and walk around the truck applying the Goo liberally. several applications make it easier. but don't let it dry. I use a small rag and keep it wet. usually working on something else between coats. I used the razor blade to gently "shave" the truck. Don't worry about getting it all in one pass. re-GOO and let solvent soften whats left, try not to "Dry; shave it, keep surface wet. It took me about a 6 pack to complete. I now have 2 darker green highlight strips. go figure???

The 3M stripe off wheel works wonders! Then use goof off to clean left over residue.