GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Sea foam

Default Sea foam

Does it matter what time of the year you use sea foam???

Sr. Engineer

From my looking and reading about the stuff I have not seen any mention of weather/timing in the year being a factor for application.

I need to do it in my truck.

Welcome to the club. It doesn't matter what time of year. Have you seen the new spray can for cleaning the intake? If not its on there website.

Alright, ill probably run some through this weekend. No i haven't seen that, does it work well???

I haven't used the new spray can for the intake yet, but I'm sure it works as well as there other products. If you ever take off your throttlebody theres a build up of carbons on the back side that needs to be cleaned off. Well you get the same build up inside the intake manifold before the injectors so running the Seafoam or any other cleaner through the gas tank or fuel rail doesn't get the manifold itself clean. I've used the 3M manifold cleaning kit before and it worked well (the kit had manifold, throttlebody and fuel system cleaner) but I'm going to try the Seafoam next time. I like to clean the maniflod, t/body and fuel at the same time. Its cheaper to go with the Seafoam.

So I am reading on the Sea Foam site that with fuel injected engines you can pour it down a vacuum line, but then it goes on to say that Vortec engines do not have a vacuum line that distributes evenly to each cylinder. What is the correct way to perform this process on my '99 suburban 5.7 vortec?
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

I'm going to try on my '96 Burb to remove the throttlebody and use the spray hose down the intake. I haven't found anybody in the small town I live in that has the new spray/hose can yet. I don't know why this woundn't work. Its almost like in there video with the Vortec V-6 just that the throttlebody is mounted on top of the manifold. I do think that the throttlebody will have to come off to spray inside the maniflod. But than you can clean the backside of the throttlebody also.

Just pour it (slowly) down the brake booster line.

the way ive always done it, and we do it pretty often @ the shop i work at too is remove the brake booster hose from the booster or any other vac hose that is easi;y popped off insert the hose just barely inside the can, now have someone else start the vehicle and and give it just enough gas to keep it running smoothly and shut it off as soon as the can is empty. reinstall the vac line. let sit for a few hours and then run it down the road smokin like a train till it clears up.

and if you choose a vac line closer to the tb youll clean out more of the intake mani.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonT View Post
    So I am reading on the Sea Foam site that with fuel injected engines you can pour it down a vacuum line, but then it goes on to say that Vortec engines do not have a vacuum line that distributes evenly to each cylinder. What is the correct way to perform this process on my '99 suburban 5.7 vortec?
    I did just that poured it into my vacuum line from my brake while the engine was running and now I have no more lifter noise. I am sold on this stuff. I also put some in my oil.... not a lot but about maybe 3 oz. .
    Dan Westphal
    2001 Silverado Ext Cab 2wd
    Patriot Guard Rider of North Texas