GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Change Oil Light

I changed my oil and my change oil light is on. I know that it doesn't need to be changed, but I don't know how to reset the light in the message center that comes on every 3000 miles. So if anyone knows how or if anyone has any guesses let me know. It is on a 2000 GMC Sierra.

I think that this is the eighth deadly sin

It's been awhile, but I think you turn the key to the "on" (not "start") position, push the accelarator to the floor 3 times in 5 seconds, and turn the key "off". See if that does it. If not, then I aplogize for the misinformation.
    '07 GMC Sierra Ext Cab / Black on Black / 5.3 / (((XM))) / Corsa Sport Exhaust / Reflex Spray-In Bed Liner / Leer 700 Tonneau / BedX-tender / EZ-Down / Hardwired Bel RX65 Pro / GM SS Oval Step Bars / CW Billet Grille / Custom SS Laser-Cut Sill Plates / Memphis M-Class Audio

That is the dumbest way to reset the light. I think it worked, but wouldn't it have been easier to just put in a button? And thanks for the tip.

I think that this is the eighth deadly sin

Default Dumbest Way

Quote Originally Posted by mowerboy1000 View Post
    That is the dumbest way to reset the light. I think it worked, but wouldn't it have been easier to just put in a button? And thanks for the tip.
    then it wouldn't have been chevy. it'd become a toyota or a honda. besides, excercise is always good for you.

if you have a Driver Info Centre (DIC) then all you have to do is press the button and go to the oil life screen, then when ur there, push and hold the button, the life should reset to 100, if you dont and u have to use the acc. pedal the light will flash like 3 times to confirm. Now ud think im a genius, but i cant figure out how to reset it on my 07 classic silverado anyone help me out here?

Yeah thats the way to reset it...I got lost the first time i changed mine.... I was mad..... But yeah it gets annoying.... But thats rightI have the book right here
    (1) Turn the key to start pos., dont turn the vehicle on
    (2) Press the accelerator to the floor 3 times witthin a 5 second period
    (3) The Instrument message panel should say then say "Oil Life Reset"

The reason it tells you to change your oil every xxxx miles is because, "dont quote me on this", but I've been told that the newer GM's have crankshaft counter configurations....And it counts how times the crankshaft has been at idle, under stress, and all that... I dont know if it's true....