GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default AC Compressor to Bypass Pulley... Where to start?

So my AC Compressor locked up on my Sierra 4.3L. I've gone through and decided how I would go about fixing this and instead of going kind of ghetto and looking for a smaller belt, and seeing as its approaching winter time, I've decided to buy a Bypass Pulley. Problem is I don't have a clue on where to start removing the Compressor or what to unbolt and rebolt and all that good stuff. From the looks, luckily, everything sits ontop and in front. I know I've got to pull all of the ozone stuff out and blah, but we can skip that part. I just can't find a "how-to" installation guide for the life of me. I've searched for 3 days now, and the ones I have found are of Cavs and Sunfires and Astros and all that crazy stuff.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Legend
    Blog Entries

What year???
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ok...
    You need to remove the three 5/8in (wrench or socket) bolts that hold the compressor on the bracket(They are around the compressor you will see them since they are the only bolts touching the compressor and the bracket) and the 9/16in bolt that holds the lines to the compressor. Also you will want to undo the two connectors and pull it up and out.
    Also why dont you just get the belt for a truck without AC??? It will completly miss the AC comp and is a lot less work. There should be a belt schematic for a system without AC... When you got to the parts store and ask them for a belt for a truck that didnt come with AC.. They should have the exact length belt, and then you dont have a year of moisture and crap getting into your AC lines and accumulator etc...
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

Well, I've been up there 3 or 4 times, and their diagram isn't very detailed, but it shows it still going around the compressor, atleast the circle where I had guess was the compressor. The only thing different (like on the diagram on the truck) is the pulley below the compressor that is absent and its a free spinning pulley. Only problem is, if thats the pulley you wrap around when putting the belt back on, there aren't any grooves and I'd be afraid it would slide off? They also told me there is only one belt for the truck. They said the computer didn't show any other sizes. Which leads to another question. Once I get the compressor out, is that pulley below the compressor still going to be there? The diagram on my truck shows to skip it completely when running it without AC. I don't see how a free spinning pulley would have anything to do with whether the AC works or not.

Legend
    Blog Entries

YEs the pulley will still be there and in 1995 they were running the delete pulley, in 1988 they werent (i have had a lot of these trucks and forget some things about the different years.) The pulley wont be touched by the belt. and it wont actually slide off since ive run the belt like that on a few trucks with out a problem.
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4