GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 6.0 vs 8.1

Default 6.0 vs 8.1

Does anyone own the 8.1L Silverado? The 6.0 is 300HP/360LB-FT Torque, the 8.1 is 340HP/455LB-FT Torque, just wondering if the 40 extra ponies and about 100 extra lbs of torque make for one hell of a ride. Has anyone driven both? I am debating as to whether I should just continue to modify the 6.0 in my '03 or try to find a similar mileage 8.1 and mod that out.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Legend
    Blog Entries

The 8.1L I drove was in a 2006 Crew cab Dually 4X4.. With a 35ft enclosed car trailer behind it.. And you slap the HAPPY pedal to the floor and let her grunt away... Unloaded it went like the dickens for something that size.. The 6.0 that i drove was a 2500HD crew cab short bed 2X4 with 9in of lift and 37s on it... and it went well too.. I however am a firm believer that there is no replacement for displacement. But you do have the downside where the 8.1 gets 10mpg most of hte time.. and if you play nice you can keep a 6.0 in the 14 range..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Yeah, I've been reading up on the 8.1L and the only downside seems to be the very poor gas mileage. If I did go the 8.1L route, it wouldn't be my daily driver that's for sure. But with the mods I've already done to the 6.0L, and a future purchase of a diablo sport tuner, I figure I would be around 340HP if not more so it's a difficult decision.

The extra 100 ft lbs of torque is definately nice, but the hp isnt that much especially if youv'e already modded the 6.0
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

WEll here is a good question what gears are you running in that truck??? Because that can make your truck feel like its got 400HP or like its got 2HP And a gerbil...... with 35s you could probably step up some and still keep your milage plus take full advantage of those 340HP.... just my .02...

The 496 is on my wish list. Bolted to an 81-ish frame. With a GMT400 Ex Cab sitting on top.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

There isn't hardly any aftermarket parts for the 8.1l compared to the 6.0l, you wont have much choice on what you plan on doing to the 8.1, unless its all custom.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Gears are stock but I've been hearing good things about the 4.56 gears and think I might go that route when I save up enough money.

I have an '04 3500 with an 8.1 & Allison, for about 2 years now. It had 50k on the clock when I picked it up. Milage seemed to be about 10, or less. The battery that was in it wasn't any where near what it needed. After I changed the battery, I noticed an improvement in milage to 11.9. It has been running consistant ever since, for about a year now. btw: this milage is driving around town. Haven't been on a long enough trip since to get an idea on milage for long hauls...

I can tell ya, it pulls very well. Push the skinny peddal and off it goes... I've pulled a 22' heavy equip bumper pull with a large quad in the back, and a cherokee on the trailer... Accelerating up hill, there is no hesitation, it just pulls.

As far as me being able to compare to other trucks, I can only compare to those I've borrowed, prior to buying this one. I've driven some that just had nothing when accelerating on the onramp... When you have to stomp on the gas that hard, and get that little out of it... I agree with the other comments made, there is no substitute for displacement.

Motor is stock, and I'm going to try the E3 plugs, this weekend. Then, add a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and upgraded MAFS, and see what improvements in mpg, throttle response, mpg, and hp these make.
    Last edited by nwflxjguy; 09-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Welcome to the club, nwflxjguy. Save your money, theres been several people on this site that have tried the E-3 plugs and they say there trucks run better with the stock A/C Delco's. Also they got misfire codes with the E-3's. Same with the throttlebody spacer and aftermarket MAF. CAI, exhaust and a programmer, alot of us on this site like the DiabloSport Preditor programmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by