GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need help 03 olds

Recently I bought a 03 oldsmobile alero 3400 v6, I want to make a sleeper out of it, but I cant find ANYTHING to add to the performance of this engine, only the 4cyl..I would really love a computer tuning program I can run off my labtop but EFIlive doesnt support the v6, anybody know of another program? or any parts?
    Thanks in advance,
    Justin
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

A lot of the performance upgrades from the 3.1L and the 3.8L will work on the 3.4L. Me personally i would try to find a suitable intake the drop a 3.8L supercharger on. and then program from there.
    And i would try black bear performance for a custom tune, since that may be your best option. I believe headers from the 3.1L will change over, as well as the cold air intake.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

ok, thank you I'm new to all these engines and was searching for parts for a 3.4L, a 3.8L intake will fit on with no mods? and as for the supercharger, I've heard a eaton m90 or m62 will fit, is this correct? honestly I would rather have a tuning program so I can change the tune anytime I want and have multiple tunes so I'm not running the engine to hard when I dont need to.
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

that was my question as well about the 3.8L to 3.4L intake. Im not 100% if they will since i never got that far with my 3.1L monte carlo. I got the supercharger and was working on the headers when the wife found a deer and it ended the project. I know that the 3.4L is really a 3.1L with a bit more bore. So anything that you can find for a 3.1L should be more than compatable with the 3.4L and some things from the 3.8L will work as well.
    As to what superchargers, me i had a late model (1999 GTP) supercharger, and i have no idea what style other than factory 3.8L because i really am not into the numbers like that and cant remeber some of it either.
    OH And i know this get SOLID dog bones for it (upper motor mounts) that will help in the throttle response HUGE!, Another thing to look at if you keep it NA (which the 3.4L is not slouch NA so if nothing else a custom tune, and headers with a good flowing exhaust) is to port match the upper and lower intake. Also take a look at over and under drive pullies.
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

sorry about the car, and the 99 GTP S/C was a eaton m62, I was lookin into one of these kits but was told not to waste my time the m90 is a much better deal for the price. I've also looked into some pulleys but I dont want to sacrifice anything like alternator or A/C efficency as its going to be my daily driver, as for the port matching, Could I measure it out, mark it, and use a rotary dremel? or do I need a certian tool for it
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

Rotory dremel works great. Just be sure to not take out to much meat.. Remeber to measure twice.. And i get your point on efficency as a daily driver. And i dont really know what the m90 is. As i said not my cup of tea.. But i got the M62 for $100 and i removed it. The guy was parting out the car after a really bad rear end collision. I was just going to take out the whole powertrain and instal it into the car, but decided i wanted to see how far i could push the 3.1L before she let loose.
    My old boss had a series 1 3.1L and it hauled the mail. and he did a port match, a good set of headers, and port and polish, and a custom made 2 1/2 in dual exhaust..
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

I found a good set of headers for the 3.4L on summit, and I need to find something for the exhaust, quiet but not constricting. did you take the TB off with the blower? or will I be able to use my TB and just find a bare supercharger?
    Goals for this car are around 350hp, stock v6 puts out 170 at the crank
    need ideas on a trans aswell, hopefully everyone isnt as clueless as me on fwd transmissions..
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

The TB and wiring harness were going to come out of a Bonneville (wanted to change over some of the other options that the GTP didnt have) But yes the 3.4L should bolt on with out to much fuss..
    As for your trans they make build kits for them. I believe B&M makes a great one. Along with a better converter. As to 350HP well your going to need more than just headers etc.. You will need larger injectors etc.. Honestly it isnt easy to get more than 300 out of them, and even 300 is spendy.
    the 3.8L with a supercharger only made 230hp.... (i think it was more after 1999 or 2000)
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

I was saving up to start building on my truck a little more, but its health started declining...and I think a sleeper alero would be sick...
    I found a set of 28lb injectors (stock are 19lb) for a pretty fair deal and a walbro model 340 fuel pump
    as for the trans I cant find a build kit for the stock trans, and a, correct me if Im off..2000 stall converter, but I'll keep looking because I dont want to drop the cash on a new 4t65e
    and havent looked into an ignition system yet, but I'm thinking something from MSD
    to date I have around 3,000 saved up..and I DONT plan on dropping all this on at once but spread it out over a few months just to keep an eye on engine integrity and make sure if I keep pushing it up its not going to fail on me

atm I'm searching for some decent oldsmobile forums for a few other advice, but now I'm used to these forums and nothing comes close to the quality of the site and the community lol..
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well me personally i wouldnt use a stall converter.... With a front wheel drive they get off the line pretty easy, and with a stall every day driving wont be as nice.
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast